What would happen to sailing if...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You can lock it if you like Phil. I don't think the language we grew up with is meant to be harmful or sexist. My point was that all these changes will leave us tongue-tied someday.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That's how I read it and I don't have a problem. But it's a short step to rants about godless libs and if it goes there it will have to be removed. No need to lock it if everyone follows that guideline.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Since I'm married to it (or so my wife claims), of course she's a she. Besides they both are beautiful to look, at stroke my ego in the right way on good days, are frustrating as h$$l at times and of course high maintenance.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
One thing it will do is make composition of the written documents difficult and read more like a "legal mumbo-jumbo". For instance, they is plural so when he or she should be used in the singular, then it will have to be some other word other than he/she because that still implies gender. What about those who choose to be "gender neutral themselves" such that they refuse to be called either he or she. "It" can't be used since that sounds derogatory. What singular pronoun would you use?

How much is this going to cost? Is Berkeley going to rewrite ALL the codes and other such documents if the document doesn't need revision otherwise or will they put in the changes when a revision is required for other reasons? In my mind, except in cases where the actual use of the word is or can be reasonably construed to DIRECTLY give preferential treatment to one sex over another then its a colossal waste of time and money (and yes money will be involved in rewriting things). But then again I'm a "he" and what do I know? :confused:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
when he or she should be used in the singular, then it will have to be some other word other than he/she because that still implies gender. What about those who choose to be "gender neutral themselves" such that they refuse to be called either he or she.
The article calls them "non-binary". I haven't any idea what pronoun to use. Same goes for my aforementioned nautical terms.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This has nothing to do with politics, geography or consideration for others. It is, however completely the product of political correctness taken to the monumentally absurd. And what's worse, we voted into a position of power the people who think this stuff up.

Time to revisit some form of prerequisite to voting that measures intellect.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Suspect we would find communication a bit more difficult. Maybe more then it already is. Then we could hide our heads in our cell phones and just text letters.
OMG... FYI... NSFW.. ICYMI.. WCW.. IRL SMH... IMO AMA... IKR.. MCM YOLO... ROFL

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Cockpit: crew area
Man overboard: crew adrift
Midshipman: mid boat being
Man-o-war: conflict oriented person
Seaman: sailor (which might be gender specific-I don't know) maybe shipmate (or is mate gender specific?!?!)
Helmsman: driver (ugh-sounds too
Powerboatish)

This is hard...

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That is soooooo Berkeley. I live near Berkeley and I deal with the City of Berkeley often enough. It will make you crazy.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
This seems like there is an effort here to fix something which isn't broken. I see Berkley is using the term "human" according to the CNN report. What are they planning to do about that since the word "man" is contained in human. Not to mention "history" which, obviously contains the word "his". I know when a civil servant who is female and is referred to as a policeman that she isn't a man. But then I am male and I may well feel otherwise were I a woMAN.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can I still refer to the boat as the “other woman”?
If your wife objected to being referred to as a woman, wouldn't you change to refer to her by her preferred address? I'm sure you would, so I would say, unless your boat asks you to use some other term to describe her, keep using the term everyone understands.

Since I'm married to it (or so my wife claims), of course she's a she.
That's exactly why the tradition got started. Now if you are a straight female, you might be referring to your boat as he, unless you're a gay female, then she's still a she, or if your a gay male your boat would be a he. If you would rather be married to something more androgynous, 'it' might be the better pronoun.
If your bi-sexual, switch it up and call your boat a she sometimes, a he other times or use the pronoun 'shim'.
I am feeling kind of good about the gender neutral term 'hum' to replace 'man', short for human. For example, a humhole cover or midshiphum or "It's sexist to use the word human, it's huhum."
Then we still have a single syllable word to express urgent phrases with like, "Hum overboard!" And "Lets do HOB drills."

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited: