• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Hurricane Barry <TS Barry < PC2 < Invest 92L

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Current Hurricane Hunter flight in progress...
recon_AF303-0402A-INVEST-2.png

The winds are on the Southern Half and Dark Green wind barb show why it was finally Named Barry.
Barometric pressures are still not very low, but they are searching for the Center, which is very broad.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Barry still a bit shy of Hurricane on the South Side ≈60 MPH
This is a snapshot of the sea states about 10 nm south of the worst part.
Z15A_2019_07_12_1310.jpg

Not too wild, yet.
This is buoy data in the path and worst part.
plot_wind_pres.php-2.png

29.65 inches Mercury ≈1004 mb
This is Buoy #42395 shown in Yellow on the HH's Flight in the southern edge of their fight.

recon_AF302-0802A-BARRY.png

Barry is encountering the edge of a HIGH pressure front on the South South West which will make it turn toward land as it is slowing down a bit.
Jim...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
At the moment I am at the beach in gulf shores AL. The surf is high. At about 10:00 AM I took a walk on the beach. I took a oThe at about noon and this had washed up
A86A6AC1-E793-4F25-8EE3-2C26EB01EC65.jpeg
36E0D8FA-95E8-40AE-B767-361DF7E1BA39.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One of JamesG’s links is Tropical Tidbits. The webmaster is a bright weather scientist with a talent to use the NOAA data to understand what is happening.

Here is a look at the rain model for the next 36 hours that James found.
A2784D79-3848-4AE5-B9AC-771C6D26DF61.gif FEAA6800-F932-4852-AD40-E6D44656D4D2.gif
Note these are models projecting the rain from Barry over the next 36 hours.
Listen to the guidance from your local government agencies regarding the storm.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
So far, just periodic heavy rain and occasional gusts in West Mobile. Serious rain started around 0330. When it's not gusting, there is very light wind out here. No constant blow like when we're the target... I'll take a little gusty rain any day. Sorry for my neighbors to the West. We're hoping you guys won't get much of a hit.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have actually benefited here on the FL gulf coast, with a few days of steady upper-teens wind. There was a fair amount of rain, but when it's 80+F that's not always a bad thing. And there was no lightning at all.

Sadly, it was all south wind on a north-south coastline, but it was still a chance to get "out there" for a couple days. Rare here in mid summer!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well finally one ground station "tipped" the edge of 74 mph to the put it in the Hurricane category.
Barry is ashore and winds falling fast. I am not making light of those in Morgan City, LA at all.

But Barry is a weird storm to say the least...

It started over Georgia on land and does a 300° right hand turn projected to return over ≈Tennessee , to die.

But...
It picked up a lot of Gulf water and dumping it inland on the Mississippi River drainage area. Already full of winter rain runoff.

Barry slowed down to make the turn.
Jim...