Port San Luis

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The lovely destination of Port San Luis is in the “rear view mirror” for the present. Took the yacht 20 n.mi. up the coast to Morro Bay this morning. Seemed the thing to do now in between SCA’s with combined seas to 7 ft (Steep to Very Steep) @ 7 sec from the NW the past couple of weeks:yikes:. Lifting of low clouds and the minimal fog two hours out exposed the true beauty of the central California coastline, rocky shores and all! Just incomparable. Blue skies now. Could not really capture the beauty of it.

Approaching Morro Bay a couple of hr ago. The ICONIC Rock!
C0AC9E5E-3651-4C1F-8CE7-5995B205C64E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I was down at my boat on Saturday (San Pedro) and I heard on the VHF some chatter about some kind of emergency up at Port San Luis. May have been a vessel sinking? (I'm not clear on the details.) Were you there at the time and do you know anything about it? I was hoping it wasn't you!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I was down at my boat on Saturday (San Pedro) and I heard on the VHF some chatter about some kind of emergency up at Port San Luis. May have been a vessel sinking? (I'm not clear on the details.) Were you there at the time and do you know anything about it? I was hoping it wasn't you!
I didn’t hear, thankfully, b/c I was away from the boat on Saturday!
Turns out, I can see it with the port’s web cam using my ipad when I’m away:). So, I would have been looking for it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Morro Bay this afternoon. Interesting, yachts come and go only passing through. Yesterday, a Downeast 38 heading north to SF from LA; today, a Catalina 36 Mk II heading south to Oxnard from Moss Landing (Monterey Bay), ultimately to Dana Point. It seems that this lovely little harbor may not often serve as a destination for its own sake.

A sleepy little town with a tourist-rich waterfront Embarcadero. Superimposed is an interesting local community comprised of folks living around SLO county with their own sets of activities. Some, escapees from Southern California, share the same complaint. Too many people, too much traffic, the feeling of a lowering quality of life. The same story as heard from escapees of other large urban areas. Lying-to here in this uncrowded harbor in the middle of SUMMER!!, that all seems so distant.:)

9EBBAE14-9346-4536-8576-62DA0F29A13F.jpeg

Temp 74 deg F; RH 51%; Baro 1015 mb
Sweet. No bugs, only a few sea lions sounding off at night. Not too much bird s*** around. Good beers, wines, and a giant outdoor chess board only a short walk.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The cruise to Port San Luis, and to that portion of the great central California coast, has ended, arriving to Ventura Harbor yesterday:( in route to Long Beach. Our weather window permitted us a rounding of Las Puntas in fair conditions. We sailed the last 23 n.mi. into Ventura gybing before a 15 to 18 kt west wind. I got to try out me new Gyb’Easy boom brake which is a great piece of equipment—I’m convinced!!!

Photo is Point Conception (Punta Concepcion) from a distance of about 2.5 n.mi. as we pass heading SE.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A week’s (i.e., 10 day) layover in Ventura returning from Port San Luis is ending. Making our way back to Long Beach will see a few days’ visit at Santa Cruz Island beginning tomorrow. :dancing: (Actually, me boat has been on the hard here in Ventura Harbor getting some touch-up work, now completed.) Six-day weather looks good but for some fog that has been forecast. The Bavaria has been out of her LB slip now for 60 days, the single biggest portion of it, about 21 days, lying to anchor at PSL.:D

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Anchored 4 nights at Santa Cruz Island. Arrived last evening at Emerald Bay (EB), Santa Catalina Island, after motor-sailing most of the nearly 70 n.mi. to arrive by dark, which was only barely accomplished. It was pandemonium here. One of the few really nice weekends so far this “summer”in So Cal, so the entire set of Two Harbors’ coves on the north side were heavily populated. Some one or another was hailing the harbor masters every few minutes, including me. Was finally told to go find a mooring at EB on my own, which we did. Big change from from Santa Cruz Island Thurs/Friday nights where I was one of two yachts anchored at Albert’s. Many boats here were anchored near the mooring fields as well, which is something new in my experience with this area. The bottoms are deep, 50 to over 100 ft unless very close to the shore whereupon most of the boats deploy stern anchors as well as bowers. A fair sailing wind for home is forecast for the final leg across the San Pedro Channel today or Monday.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A fair sailing wind for home is forecast for the final leg across the San Pedro Channel today or Monday.
The wind appeared early this afternoon as forecast. The seas were a bit wild, but a consistent 15 - 18 kt westerly blew us from Two Harbors to Port of Los Angeles @ Cabrillo Beach in 3 hr. Consistently reaching 8 to 8 1/2 kt in mid-channel on the broad reach, apparent wind kept slightly aft of the beam. Within about 5 n.mi. of Palos Verde, the wind tends to increase further so we took a reef in the mainsail for comfort, plus furled in some jib. Boat hardly lost much average speed, but was easier to keep on course. Dropped the hook at Cabrillo Beach for probably the last of now 65 nights at large away from the home slip in Long Beach.:what:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
I'm on my boat at Holiday Harbor (Berth 34) in San Pedro. When I go for my evening walk I'll check out your boat in the anchorage off Cabrillo Beach.

My son is meeting me down here at 8 am and we are heading over to Cat Harbor (hopefully to avoid some of the crowds). Unless you are already gone by then I'll see you off to starboard.

Today's sea state didn't look especially hairy in the forecast, though the winds down here were brisk in the early to mid afternoon. What conditions did you actually encounter as far as the seas go? Sounds like you had a great ride.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I'm on my boat at Holiday Harbor (Berth 34) in San Pedro. When I go for my evening walk I'll check out your boat in the anchorage off Cabrillo Beach.

My son is meeting me down here at 8 am and we are heading over to Cat Harbor (hopefully to avoid some of the crowds). Unless you are already gone by then I'll see you off to starboard.

Today's sea state didn't look especially hairy in the forecast, though the winds down here were brisk in the early to mid afternoon. What conditions did you actually encounter as far as the seas go? Sounds like you had a great ride.
Hi Alan. They were “lumped up”; a bit irregular. White caps, but not extensive. Steering was initially difficult to keep on course. We were surprised by the wind strength just coming out from Two Harbors around 1330. Took some minutes to get the boat trimmed. Yes. It was a great ride! We are the only boat out here, probably 70-80 m from the sea wall protecting Cabrillo Marina.

I doubt we’ll be gone by 0800. I’ll be having me coffee. Cruise by; let’s say Hi!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Interesting about the sea conditions. The forecast had a fairly large period swell (I think it was like 18 seconds) but it was what it was.

If I see you out and about my son and I will do a quick pass by you on our way out. Since he's supposed to be at the slip at 8:00 (and isn't always the most punctual guy) don't be surprised if it's more like 8:30. I have the boat ready to go so once he steps aboard we're off.

Nov 22, 2011
Well, I'm looking at your boat right now. Actually, all I can see is the mast and boom because the hull is obscured by the breakwater. I assume it's got to be you because I don't see any other masts in the anchorage. Looks like you have the place to yourself. Sweet!

There is some kind of event happening on shore; I guess it is a wedding. Hope the loud music they're playing doesn't keep you up all night!

Nov 22, 2011
It is still fairly breezy considering how late it is. But you have great holding there, as you know.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It is still fairly breezy considering how late it is. But you have great holding there, as you know.
We were just noticing that the wind has come back up some after nearly dying at sunset. We’ve swung in here in 20+ kt over the many years we’ve been coming here. Never a problem. Actually, it’s a bit better for comfort if the wind stays up some; the boat does not “wallow.”

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, I'm looking at your boat right now. Actually, all I can see is the mast and boom because the hull is obscured by the breakwater. I assume it's got to be you because I don't see any other masts in the anchorage. Looks like you have the place to yourself. Sweet!

There is some kind of event happening on shore; I guess it is a wedding. Hope the loud music they're playing doesn't keep you up all night!
With the boat closed up and with Frankie on below, I doubt we’ll notice the party sounds. But I do hear some festivities at the moment from the cockpit.