Messed up start of a race!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our big (120 boats) Thursday evening series has a new wrinkle; two starting lines. While we have always had two courses, they have shared a starting line. That works well, but with 7 starts on 3 minute sequences, it still takes a long time to get all boats on the course. This is designed to speed this up, but now all three WYC boats have to be manned and on the water.

Last night was supposed to be the first time we ran this on a big Thursday race. So while the breeze was light enough for an abandonment (2-3 knots), the RC decided that they would still at least start the race. Pandemonium ensued, with boats figuring that it was going to be abandoned at some time anyway. Rules were forgotten, mistakes were made. We're eaking towards the line making a grand 1.1 knot, while the Carpi 25s (most on port) all around us 'started' two minutes before. The j70 we are fending off was late to our joint start and motored to a position right in front of us, killed the motor, and stalled.

push.jpg

We finally hit the line and tack into a lane of clear air. Sailed like this for about 2 minutes before the triple-bang put a merciful end to the show.

upwind light.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No one at the helm. Apparently unaware or uncaring that they were about to hit your boat. Requiring your lady to fend off the offender.

Nov 8, 2010
No one at the helm. Apparently unaware or uncaring that they were about to hit your boat. Requiring your lady to fend off the offender.
Its hard to see, the guy (Sean, friend of mine) aft is driving with a battlestick in his hand. They had motored to a spot directly on our line and about 3 boatlengths ahead about 2 minutes before the start (RRS42). They killed the motor and raised sail, but developed no headway and slipped sideways, annoyed but following the rules, I turned slight down to pass to leeward of them. They slid down more and then were breaking RRS11. Jean pushed them clear. Jodi skipped the race, she was not feeling well. Sean bought me a drink afterwords.

Nov 8, 2010
120 boats? Every Thursday? That is astonishing.
That's the average. Sometimes 110ish, sometimes 140. That's why seven starts and two courses.

It drives a bunch of things, being totally up on your rules is one of them. On BlueJ we probably 20 close section#2 encounters every night.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Considering the 2 knot wind and other factors, it sounds like there was way too much intensity towards "winning" to actually enjoy the event. .02 * pop a beer, lighten up, and enjoy the day just this once. :kick:;)

Nov 8, 2010
Considering the 2 knot wind and other factors, it sounds like there was way too much intensity towards "winning" to actually enjoy the event. .02 * pop a beer, lighten up, and enjoy the day just this once. :kick:;)
Oh no trust me, there was zero intensity regarding 'winning' that race! ;^)

With that breeze and everyone knowing there was a 99.99% chance that it was going to be abandoned, the only intensity was getting out of the start area in one piece and no damage! There were 5 classes of boats from 3 starts (ours, the previous, and the next) in the area. A real $hit$how.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He brought over another glass of the beer I was drinking as offering.
That action is what makes the competitive racing model at a club work. It is civil. It is one of the many things I love about boating.

Nov 8, 2010
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
JD, you always make it sound like your YC has real camaraderie among its competitors. I don't think I've read any post where you didn't explain how the captain of some other boat involving an incident wasn't completely competent, a friend, or just having a hard time due to circumstances or a misunderstanding. Are you really like that during the heat of competition? I could almost believe I'd enjoy racing, reading your posts.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
JD, you always make it sound like your YC has real camaraderie among its competitors. I don't think I've read any post where you didn't explain how the captain of some other boat involving an incident wasn't completely competent, a friend, or just having a hard time due to circumstances or a misunderstanding. Are you really like that during the heat of competition? I could almost believe I'd enjoy racing, reading your posts.

-Will (Dragonfly)
yea pretty much, and with that many boats, there is a lot of talking, and not just idiots yelling 'STARBOARD!' at every boat in sight. Talking helps you understand the other boats intent, or lets them know what you're thinking. The 30 seconds run-up to that was:
me: 'Seanie, whatcha doing????'
him: 'Sorry, I'll be out of your way in a second' (knowing he motored to get in front of me)
me: 'I'm going to have to go underneath you; hold your line' (me not super happy now)
him: 'OK I'll stay up' (as he starts to slide sideways)
me: 'You're not doing a great job of that'
him: 'I know sorry, I'm sliding'
me: 'OK fine, just don't hipcheck (turn up and turn transom into us) us and we'll fend if needed.
him 'sorry'
me 'clear, seeya'

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
That really great that you have such a phenomenal turn out. Are all the boats club members'? Do they come from other clubs? Is there a fee to race? I would love to know more about how you promote it.

Nov 8, 2010
That really great that you have such a phenomenal turn out. Are all the boats club members'? Do they come from other clubs? Is there a fee to race? I would love to know more about how you promote it.
For all but one of the series (and invitational regattas) are all from our club, and 98% of the boats are moored at WYC. Members $450/year fees cover the 60+ races, which includes professional race management and free beer afterwords.

I’ll write more about when makes it work later.

Nov 8, 2010
Isn't that how JD got out of the Army? :eek::laugh:
Hey! Those records were supposed to be sealed! ;^)

You would think with all those boats on the courses so often, that there would be a lot of bad feelings and enemies made. But that really does not happen. Maybe because we are all from the same club, and maybe because of the parties afterwords, but things always stay civil. I don’t know of any lingering animosities, and as a fleet captain we’re tasked to keep on top of things like that and get involved before they grow.