Which truck for hauling a trailer sailer?

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
So currently I am pulling a 26ft Sailboat. Dry weight of the boat is 3300 lbs. Figure the trailer is about 1500. All our gear and water and us (two grown ups, two kids all the food and water that goes with that) is another 14-1600 depending on length of trip.

This is putting my GX470 a little over her tow limit of 6k when the kids are with us, just a hair under when they are not. It is interesting when there is a cross wind when I am pulling the boat. The GX does it, but it is... more interesting then I would like.

I am looking at a truck. Finances being what they are the trucks I am looking at are 24V Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke with the associated vehicles they are put in.

Any opinions either way? I am going diesel since we live in CO and most good lakes are a ways away. The closest decent lake being 3.5 hours away.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Both Cummins and Powerstroke are good engines and Ford and Ram both make nice trucks so I don't think you will go wrong with either of them. Having said that, I haven't been a fan of Chrysler products since owning a few in the 90's (I know they are so much better now-but I'm stuck in my ways lol) and I've owned a couple older Ford trucks that are workhorses (not pulling boats but car trailers, hay wagons, etc) so my bias leans toward the Ford.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Both Cummins and Powerstroke are good engines and Ford and Ram both make nice trucks so I don't think you will go wrong with either of them. Having said that, I haven't been a fan of Chrysler products since owning a few in the 90's (I know they are so much better now-but I'm stuck in my ways lol) and I've owned a couple older Ford trucks that are workhorses (not pulling boats but car trailers, hay wagons, etc) so my bias leans toward the Ford.
Chrysler has had a well known and well earned reputation for their automatic transmissions. Which is why one of the qualifications I have being a manual. Both the SO and I drive a stick so that isn't an issue, even on a boat ramp.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 7.3. The only thing I have heard is it isn't super fast. But I am not looking for land speed records. Just comfortable towing.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
It would end up being the same engine I have now. Part of the reason for going to diesel and a full size, not a quarterton gas is the fueling. I can get 140 miles with the GX before I start looking for a gas station. And that is without a headwind. Then it is 100 miles.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The 6 leaker as it's commonly referred to is notorious for headgasket leaks.
The 7.3 is also an International engine, and seems to have fared a little better.
The 6.7, which is the current production model is a native Ford product. My 2011 has just turned 300k kms and is probably the best truck I've ever owned.
dsc00437-copy (1).jpg

I collected this boat from Lake Dillon with the 6 leaker and warped a rotor coming down the hill into Denver. There is no way in heck I'd drag your boat around with a 1/2 ton truck and I wouldn't want to be in front of you on that hill. It's far more about stopping power and handling than pulling power.

Attachments

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
The 6 leaker as it's commonly referred to is notorious for headgasket leaks.
The 7.3 is also an International engine, and seems to have fared a little better.
The 6.7, which is the current production model is a native Ford product. My 2011 has just turned 300k kms and is probably the best truck I've ever owned.
View attachment 166799

I collected this boat from Lake Dillon with the 6 leaker and warped a rotor coming down the hill into Denver. There is no way in heck I'd drag your boat around with a 1/2 ton truck and I wouldn't want to be in front of you on that hill. It's far more about stopping power and handling than pulling power.
Agreed. Towing from Denver to Lake Mac I avoided highways and kept it at 60 all the way. It will stop. Just not on a dime.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Agreed.
The 350 is a full size truck, and a long wheelbase. The little Catalina tips the scales at about 11,500 lbs, and is obviously at the upper end of the capabilities of this truck, and while the trailer has brakes on every axle, it has never felt for a minute less than stellar back there. I would not, however, drive over the Coquihalla with it. 11% grades for 10 miles are a little more than even I'm comfy with. :)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Two friends here just got some awesome deals on Ram trucks I liked both trucks not sure there is a significant difference between the brands. If you do not have a brand bias like many of us do go with the dealer who treats you the best and the best deal you can get.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Are you looking for gas mileage or improved range between fueling?

Going diesel up here adds a significant amount to the price of a truck. Usually done for increased durability of the drive line if your doing lots of miles and increased towing power/torque. In my area the vehicles usually lose their bodies long before the drive line goes. (Rust)

My 5.3l gas half ton will do around 300miles + between fills. Mileage with boat is 11-16mpg depending on towing speed and hills. Between this truck and my previous I have towed the boat over 10,000 miles - including the rockies.

Fuel tank size will be the determinant for range, some trucks do have the option of dual or oversize tanks.

I assume from your weight estimates that you are a water ballast boat?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Are you looking for gas mileage or improved range between fueling?

Going diesel up here adds a significant amount to the price of a truck. Usually done for increased durability of the drive line if your doing lots of miles and increased towing power/torque. In my area the vehicles usually lose their bodies long before the drive line goes. (Rust)

My 5.3l gas half ton will do around 300miles + between fills. Mileage with boat is 11-16mpg depending on towing speed and hills. Between this truck and my previous I have towed the boat over 10,000 miles - including the rockies.

Fuel tank size will be the determinant for range, some trucks do have the option of dual or oversize tanks.

I assume from your weight estimates that you are a water ballast boat?
No water ballast. 1k keel that is retractable.

Fuel economy and driveline both play a part in this. And my budget isn't a new truck, or even a remotely close to new truck. Being a mechanic older higher mile trucks don't scare me off since I go over them pretty thoroughly before purchase and can fix anything on them.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It would end up being the same engine I have now. Part of the reason for going to diesel and a full size, not a quarterton gas is the fueling. I can get 140 miles with the GX before I start looking for a gas station. And that is without a headwind. Then it is 100 miles.
Actually the Tundra has a 5.7 liter 380 hp v8. That’s is considerably larger than the gx470’s engine. As for mileage I do not know what it would be but it wouldn’t be great. Diesel would be better for towing but I in my opinion the Tundra is preferable overall. Too bad Car Guys are no loner around.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Actually the Tundra has a 5.7 liter 380 hp v8. That’s is considerably larger than the gx470’s engine. As for mileage I do not know what it would be but it wouldn’t be great. Diesel would be better for towing but I in my opinion the Tundra is preferable overall. Too bad Car Guys are no loner around.
I am a huge fan of Toyota (after all I drive two of them). And I was thinking of at least seeing how my land cruiser does with the boat. FZJ80 that is getting a Chevy 6.2 v8 and a 6l80. It will be able to pull it but it's a short wheel base compared to a full size and wheel base matters towing. It also isn't really set up brake wise for towing.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Any full size truck will exceed your tow weight needs. If you want a full size truck to drive around I'd get one. If you are looking for something smaller but can handle the weight I'd look at mid size trucks. My friend has a Chev Colorado with a diesel. He hauls around his Airstream trailer all over the west coast and is currently in Minnesota with it. There are some new trick trailer brake systems out there now that use gyroscopes and apply independently side to side to overcome sway. Proper balancing if the trailer is overlooked alot causing problems.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Have you considered a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars? There are versions available that are compatible with hydraulic surge brakes.

Here's the one I bought for my 5000 pound boat and trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Fastway/FA94-00-0600.html
(Fastway is a division of Equalizer Hitch. Your boat may require a more heavy duty version than mine does. Contact Equalizer for tech support)

YMMV

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I pull my H260 with a 2008 Ford Expedition. Not diesel but I’ve been very happy with it. Never had trouble with sway. Even on interstate highways with BAMF trucks passing me.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Keep in mind that manuf. Tow capacity doesn't change with sway bars, load distribution hitches or airbags.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Personally, I like my old Cummins, pulls my boat like it's not even there, but is noisier, for long trips that makes the drive a little more uncomfortable.

Attachments

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Well being a fan of GMC, i’ll Throw the 6.6 gmc with their Allyson transmission for towing. Of course we can all argue all day between ford, ram and gm. But I like the power and comfort of the gmc trucks. Even older GMC’s with their diesel will do you well.

While the tow vehicle sure makes a difference, I’ve towed travel trailers and boats all over the west with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks and never really had issues. My current 1/2 tone tows our 31’ camper all over the US and Canada just fine. We use highways and side roads as needed but are watchful of others. Never had an issue with anyone as long as we are careful.

Good luck

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
haven't been a fan of Chrysler products since owning a few in the 90's (I know they are so much better now-but I'm stuck in my ways lol) and I've owned a couple older Ford trucks that are workhorses (not pulling boats but car trailers, hay wagons, etc) so my bias leans toward the Ford.
The old Dodge 12 valve Cummins with manual transmission and serious frame, is the best pickup chassis/drivetrain in recent memory IMO.
Unfortunately the bodies rusted to crap.
I'd love to stick a newer Chev body on a one of those chassis.

The newer Rams are not great IMO, due to electrical issues and premature rust. (the late 1990s trucks were better in my experience)

Recent example: We had a guy 1 month ago have his horn give out.
The intergrated power module in the newer ones is just another word for "fuse, relays and logic board with some non-replaceable relays".
Non-replaceable horn relay on the power module was bad.. :D Result: Replace the whole module. A huge bill just to get a horn work. Can't just wire up a generic relay back to the steering wheel, because the steering wheel communicates via CANbus.

Ford ? All the techs in our shop hate Fords. Horrible to work on across the whole range of vehicles.
The tritons were crap, the v6 ecoboost has issues, etc. The older Ford diesels were good.
Their reputation is based on trucks from long past.

actually the Tundra has a 5.7 liter 380 hp v8. That’s is considerably larger than the gx470’s engine. As for mileage I do not know what it would be but it wouldn’t be great. Diesel would be better for towing but I in my opinion the Tundra is preferable overall. Too bad Car Guys are no loner around.
While I like Toyotas for MANY reasons, we recently had a new customer come into replace the starter, for a second time, on his 5.7 tundra.
R&R a starter in that truck is over 5 hours labour !

Unless you are towing constantly, and the truck is in daily use, I'd find an older Pre-DPF diesel with a manual trans. Less complicated the better.

Of course, if everyone thought that way, our shop would make less money.