Like moths to a flame

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The charterer's bill on that one will be the insurance policy deductible, typically of 1% of the vessel's value. So, likely, $3K to $4K assuming no violations of damage "contingencies" which could make it more. The skipper will need that CC.
Indeed. When I chartered a Beneteau 33 from them earlier this year, there was a $2700 damage deposit on the boat. While thats more than 1% of the 33's value, they probably have a formula that keeps them whole. Probably including lost charter revenue or lost use to the owner.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Indeed. When I chartered a Beneteau 33 from them earlier this year, there was a $2700 damage deposit on the boat. While thats more than 1% of the 33's value, they probably have a formula that keeps them whole. Probably including lost charter revenue or lost use to the owner.
From my last charter contract re: insurance coverage.
"Next Charter: Client pays for subsequent lost charter fees while a repair is undertaken, necessitated by actions on the clients charter." Also: "Damage & Repair or loss due to: operation outside authorized boundaries, illegal activity, willful damage, gross negligence." I take it, if the damage exceeds the 1% (or by whatever formula used), charterer gets to pay the full ticket.

Now that you mention, I think there was a formula--perhaps not a strict, straight-line percentage. However, on this last charter of mine they swiped me card for $3,750 deposit (4-year-old Hanse 495), and I had the additional charter protect coverage which buys down the deductible liability to 50% of full deductible for hull and machinery. The full deductible was $7,500 which at 1% would suggest a hull value near $750K for that yacht:yikes:.

But, I typically do not sail near battleships, submarines, or aircraft carriers!!

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Also: "Damage & Repair or loss due to: operation outside authorized boundaries, illegal activity, willful damage, gross negligence." I take it, if the damage exceed the 1% (or by whatever formula used), charterer gets to pay the full ticket.
While rare on personal USA-based policies that are often all-risk, this type of clause is common in European personal policies and charters everywhere. And it should give old salts pause and scare the crap out of newbies. 'Gross negligence' is not cut and dry, but adjudicated after the fact. So when you don't know what you don't know, you taking on a LOT of risk.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
While rare on personal USA-based policies that are often all-risk, this type of clause is common in European personal policies and charters everywhere. And it should give old salts pause and scare the crap out of newbies. 'Gross negligence' is not cut and dry, but adjudicated after the fact. So when you don't know what you don't know, you taking on a LOT of risk.
Amen!! It could well come down, however, to what the charterer and the company can agree to.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You do understand that the Midway is decommissioned and permanently moored to the side of navy Pier? ;^)
Yet, still qualifies as a Big Steel Thing! Also applies to bridges, breakwalls, etc.

We always use the term GTR, for Gross Tonnage Rules. I guess that would still apply, too.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
They need to put "collision avoidance" AP's on charter boats for unconscious operators, like a Tesla or a Roomba.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Docked is a bit of an understatement, she's welded to the wall! ;^) But to your point, the two boat hit the bull-horn structures that stick out from the bow designed to catch launch bridles on older jets. Seemed that wanted a close-in look. They got it!
I am impressed that you knew about the bridle ramps.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One can talk about liability damage to the boat, I wonder if they also incurred fines from the Navy.

Nov 8, 2010
One can talk about liability damage to the boat, I wonder if they also incurred fines from the Navy.
The navy does not own it anymore, the non-profit entity that runs it as a museum does. Its more like one of those tanks that sit in front of the local VFW. Maybe they'll send a bill for some gray touch-up paint!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My uncle flew Crusaders in Vietnam... Man I wanted to be like him!
In the early 70's we didn't have F8s but we did have A7s on the Midway. Both had that big, single intake powerful enough to suck a man into if you weren't paying attention during ops. We called them both "man eaters". I was more worried about the E2 propellors because you can't see them when they are turning. There was always a ground person nearby to warn you if you were getting too close. I can't imagine what it must have been like during WWII.
The catapult is a big slingshot. The bridle was turned down at the end of the run to get it out of the way! I was lucky enough to launch and trap a couple times during my hitch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
F8 Crusader... Last of the Gun Fighters.
My Uncle flew the F8 and helped shepherd it through the process to test it and then introduce it into the fleet. He loved that plane. Set cross country speed records in it.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My uncle flew Crusaders in Vietnam... Man I wanted to be like him!
Tough to land those birds. I saw a phantom have a bridal strike the belly tank off catapult 3. Looked like a Roman candle.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
In the early 70's we didn't have F8s but we did have A7s on the Midway. Both had that big, single intake powerful enough to suck a man into if you weren't paying attention during ops. We called them both "man eaters". I was more worried about the E2 propellors because you can't see them when they are turning. There was always a ground person nearby to warn you if you were getting too close. I can't imagine what it must have been like during WWII.
The catapult is a big slingshot. The bridle was turned down at the end of the run to get it out of the way! I was lucky enough to launch and trap a couple times during my hitch.
Yep. Those E-2 propellers are scary, especially at night. You can hear em but can’t see em