Beneteau 361 2002 gel coat cracking/crazing/spider webb cracks?

Jun 24, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 40 Havre de Grace
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a sailboat, preferably a Beneteau in the 36 to 40 feet range.
Recently I saw a Beneteau 361 from 2002, which was very clean and apparently in excellent condition. However, coming closer, I found very fine cracks in the deck gel coat, mainly but not exclusive in areas with load or stress. Interestingly none in the non-skid areas and the deck appeared to be solid not giving or flexing while walking on it.
Now I am wondering how much of a problem that is? I have read about gel coat cracking/crazing and the ways to repair that, but on this boat, there were so many of those (see picture) very fine cracks, barely remarkable while going over with a fingernail that I cannot imagine they could all be repaired, that would come out as a refit of the entire deck.
I would assume that some of that is normal in older boats but is that a real problem or can become a problem?

I appreciate your thoughts and input.

Thank you,
Christoph
Screenshot 2019-06-24 07.56.40.jpg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wouldn’t be concerned about the superficial gel coat crazing seen in your photo. I had some on my boat when I purchase it at 6 years of age and they really haven’t changed over the past 6 years. I can’t help wonder if the owner is anchoring and not tying the rode off on one of the bow cleats; the windlass and mounting pad should not be bearing the stress of the boat at anchor.

Jun 24, 2019
Thank you for your answer.
Good point, they may have used the windlass to bear all the load from the anchor, however as I said I found them in many more areas even areas like the cockpit where load as a factor is not immediately apparent.
Do you experience any water ingress or softening of the deck structure where those cracks are?

galynd

Nov 1, 2009
Beneteau 36cc port arthur, tx
I have a 2000 beneteau 36cc with the same issue, spider cracks. I believe it is just in the gel coat. Absolutely no water ingress or softening.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I would say those cracks are fairly normal. They usually occur in the curved sections of gelcoat around winch bases, hatch openings, and where the cabin top meets the foredeck. They are not structural.

Sep 19, 2010
Beneteau 41 Deltaville, VA
We had some spider cracks on our old B361 in high stress areas, but not around the windlass that I can recall. It's most likely just cosmetic, but a good surveyor should be able to detect if there has been any water intrusion or any areas or particular concern.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
We had some spider cracks on our old B361 in high stress areas, but not around the windlass that I can recall. It's most likely just cosmetic, but a good surveyor should be able to detect if there has been any water intrusion or any areas or particular concern.
:plus:

Jun 24, 2019
Hi all,
thanks for all the response.
I am going to walk away from that particular boat since there are too many of those cracks in lots of different areas.
Christoph

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Don't be surprised to find spider cracks and dings in the gelcoat on a 17 year old boat. I chartered many Beneteaus and looked at several before purchasing mine. Pretty much all of them had chips and spider cracks. Would be willing to bet that other production boats have them too. There is no water ingress nor softening around the crazing.....I really don't worry about it and it really isn't a cosmetic issue unless you are really looking for them closely. Good luck on your search.