Do you have your veterans ID card?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Have you taken advantage of military discounts that civilian businesses today are offering? There wasn't much appreciation, if any, for military serving in Vietnam, but the culture has changed. Sometimes when the mood suits me, I respond to the cashier's "thank you for you service" with a very short one line history lesson. Most cashiers are kids and don't even know about the Vietnam war. So why not bury the bitterness and sign up. It means you won't have to carry a DD-214 around with you as proof of your service. I'm fortunate that Kansas prints "Veteran" on driver's licenses, and lucky that I knew about it when it was time to renew mine.

You can register and get one. It won't get you any VA benefits, just SWAG. I haven't run into a marine retailer that discounts. :(
https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/16/should-you-get-new-veteran-id-card.html
salute.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Justin, I also live in a state where you show you DD214 and they will verify your Honorable service and print “Veteran” on your drivers license. I looked at an “ID card” link at the beginning of the year but declined as they wanted a fee to sign up and an annual fee to maintain your “Membership”. Is this the same thing?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I got the Maryland "Veteran" driver license the last time I renewed the driver's. ALot of places in Annapolis have signs saying active and veterans can get a discount with I.D.. I've never really thought about that when I was out somewhere. Otherwise, what the Veteran stamp on the driver license gets me is a (monthly?) email from the VA with pics and articles about things I don't care about. When shown to a cashier, it IS a badge somewhat like the good conduct/ sharpshooting/etc medals.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not sure John but that would be something to watch out for. I'd carry a DD-214 before I'd pay fees for this. The article doesn't mention it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I got the Maryland "Veteran" driver license the last time I renewed the driver's. ALot of places in Annapolis have signs saying active and veterans can get a discount with I.D.. I've never really thought about that when I was out somewhere. Otherwise, what the Veteran stamp on the driver license gets me is a (monthly?) email from the VA with pics and articles about things I don't care about. When shown to a cashier, it IS a badge somewhat like the good conduct/ sharpshooting/etc medals.
It has been a few years, and I haven't seen any junk mail from changing my DL. Just the old invites to join the VFW I always got.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
. I looked at an “ID card” link at the beginning of the year but declined as they wanted a fee to sign up and an annual fee to maintain your “Membership”. Is this the same thing?
I believe that the ID card that Justin is referring to is issued by the Veterans Administration.
There is no cost nor annual fee. It is a wallet sized ID card with Choose VA and an official emblem on the front It also has your photo and your name printed. It simply reads that the card serves as proof of service in the uniformed services of the US and does not reflect entitlement to any benefits from the VA. You can apply at the VA website for the veterans ID. Louisiana also prints "Veteran" on drivers licenses if you provide a copy of you DD214. I have used the card at Home Depot for discounts; only good on Memorial Day and Veterans Day unless you are currently on active duty. Lowes provides discounts 365 days per year if you show card or you can register as a vet on your "My Lowes" account; just give them your phone number that is linked to the account and you get an automatic 10% discount on each purchase.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks BigEasy. BTW, Home Depot here gives military discounts to veterans every day. You don't need to be active. You might talk to them.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Personally I think this is a great idea. And if you served do apply for one. You might not get the discounts all the time but it is worth asking. I, on the other hand, carry the most sought after "Blue Card" which signifies Military Retiree. I have been offered discounts many times but usually refuse by saying "Thanks, but I can afford to pay full price".

But... I will use the Senior discount at restaurants if they have one. LOL

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks Justin, I will check on that again. I was buying a lawnmower about 14 months ago at Home Depot(before I had the Veterans card), and showed the customer service rep my DD214. She said that the discount would apply. When I went thru the checkout line, the clerk denied the discount. Had to get the customer service people involved and they eventually gave me the discount but told me that in the future I could only get a discount on Veteran's holidays as I wasn't active duty. Guess they may have changed their policy to no restrictions since Lowes offers a discount everyday.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yep. It has been the last year or so that HD changed their policy to compete with Lowe's. Nothing like competition.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I experienced the same stuff at HD. So went to Lowes and have been warmly greeted and treated to a discount no issues. Have stopped having my pay check sent directly to HD. It was easier and for a while I was spending way to much repairing house and rental. Now a I got a boat and the house suffers.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 for Lowes, you can register online with a copy of your DD214 or at the store, 10% on all purchases, all the time, + they have veterans parking spaces up close. Saves some decent bucks, esp. on those bigger purchases. (note, you can't double dip if you happen to have a Lowes -5% advantage credit card).
Too bad they don't sell sailing stuff! (think I'll send this thread to WM mgmt.!)

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I always ask "do you have a military or senior discount?" If they don't I politely respond "no problem, it never hurts to ask" Many places have it that don't advertise it (at least around here where its a "military town" - Beaufort SC). I have a "retired ID" so that helps and in many cases have been given a courtesy managers discount. If you don't have a retired ID but some sort of Vet ID the question "Veterans or senior discount?" would be appropriate. Things have changed and the culture has changed too so I figure it never hurts to ask and respond politely if they don't. You end up in many interesting conversations if you take (and they have the time) to chat about their son/daughter who is in the military or whose Dad or Mom served. I'd have to guess some sort of discount is given about half of the time at other than grocery or big company stores where the cashier or manager is not empowered to give a discount.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm weird.

It makes me uncomfortable with the ubiquitous phrase, "thank you for your service". Kinda like when my Dad died, I remember everyone saying "sorry for your loss." Same feeling. Awkward .... obligatory. Just wanting the moment to end.

I don't want anyone's discount. I'll buy my own cup of coffee or roll of duct tape. And I don't want to be thanked. Thank the guy with no legs, HE earned it. I didn't. So when the cashier asks, I just smile and say no ... I'm not former military.

Now, when it comes those primo parking spots at Lowe's ... it's a whole 'nuther story! I'll roll up into that spot like I was George Patton himself! :laugh:

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I always ask "do you have a military or senior discount?" If they don't I politely respond "no problem, it never hurts to ask" Many places have it that don't advertise it (at least around here where its a "military town" - Beaufort SC). I have a "retired ID" so that helps and in many cases have been given a courtesy managers discount. If you don't have a retired ID but some sort of Vet ID the question "Veterans or senior discount?" would be appropriate. Things have changed and the culture has changed too so I figure it never hurts to ask and respond politely if they don't. You end up in many interesting conversations if you take (and they have the time) to chat about their son/daughter who is in the military or whose Dad or Mom served. I'd have to guess some sort of discount is given about half of the time at other than grocery or big company stores where the cashier or manager is not empowered to give a discount.
You are right. It never hurts to ask. Especially for retired folks on a fixed income. Many places give AAA discounts, but only if you ask.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
My Green ID expired years ago so I applied for the new VA card and received it recently. I think it's AWESOME that the VA is issuing these cards to veterans now BUT I am a bit disappointed with the card itself.
Sample-VA-ID-Card.jpg

It just doesn't look like a government ID and seems fake. I've had cashiers at Home Depot roll their eyes at me like I'm trying to put one over on them.

-Z

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I'm weird.

It makes me uncomfortable with the ubiquitous phrase, "thank you for your service". Kinda like when my Dad died, I remember everyone saying "sorry for your loss." Same feeling. Awkward .... obligatory. Just wanting the moment to end.

I don't want anyone's discount. I'll buy my own cup of coffee or roll of duct tape. And I don't want to be thanked. Thank the guy with no legs, HE earned it. I didn't. So when the cashier asks, I just smile and say no ... I'm not former military.

Now, when it comes those primo parking spots at Lowe's ... it's a whole 'nuther story! I'll roll up into that spot like I was George Patton himself! :laugh:
Gene, give it 15 yrs or so, bet you'll take that senior discount, altho I'm somewhat insulted when a clerk gives it to me by default! Then again, I get a warm & fuzzy feeling when they ask for my ID at the liquor store!!!
BTW, stay outta my friggin' parking spot! LOL!!
BTW2, thank you for your service (to the forum that is!)

Semper Fi!

Last edited: