Got the dreaded marina call today.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
We were on hour 2 of a 3 hour trip home from the marina when my phone rang. It was the marina manager...said our boat was sinking. I said, "Are you sure it's our boat? Slip 69? I just closed all the through hulls before we left." "Yes, definitely your boat. The water's in the cabin."

Recommendation was to call a local tow company there for help. I did, as we turned around and headed back. "What kind of boat?" the tow company asked. "Catalina 350". "Sailboat?", he said. "They don't usually sink. It's usually a powerboat." "Yea, I agree, and I closed all the through hulls, but they say MINE is sinking." "Is it locked?" "Yep. Yes, and you have my permission to do whatever you need to do to get in it."

As we drove back in shock and silence, my wife is thinking "I left my sewing machine in the boat. Now it's ruined. Shoulda brought it home." In the meantime, I'm doing some math...8-9' of water...4 1/2' draft. The top of the cabin should be just under the water. I wonder if the new solar panels that I just installed on the bimini will be above water line."

My wife broke the silence..."Call them back and make SURE it's OUR boat. I just can't believe it is."

I called them back..."Not your boat. We made a mistake. We have to call the owner of the boat that is actually sinking." Good for me, sad for the other guy, I thought.

Take home message? Maybe leave the boat unlocked so someone can get into it if an emergency actually happened? and 2...doesn't matter that it didn't happen, the actual call was real, and it really sucked.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Those calls suck.

Leave the location of the key or combination with the marina. Our marina is in a low crime area, so we hide the key on the boat. Ask the marina to send a photo, it is easy with a cell phone, that way you can be certain the boat is yours.

A couple years ago the marina manager sent me a text with a video clip of water pouring out of the boat. I was puzzled and asked about the video. He said the bilge pump had been running for over 20 minutes and my boat was sinking. It was the water cooled refrigeration system. :)

Then there was the call on a bitter cold February morning about my lying on its side in the yard. It had blown off the jack stands and took 2 boats with it. That was not a pleasant experience. :(

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Can’t wait to hear how they still decided it was your boat even after you provided the slip number AND why you had to call them to find out it wasn’t your boat

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
that sewing machine comment is a hoot! Sounds like something my Admiral would say!!!

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
Our marina office has an entire wall with a painted layout of the facility. Each slip is numbered and there's hook for every boat owner to hang an extra set of keys or the combo for their lock.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
that sewing machine comment is a hoot! Sounds like something my Admiral would say!!!
She just spent many hours sewing 3M Dual Lock on the bimini to hold the 3 solar panels. They have bonded. :)

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Thanks for all the lock ideas. Yes, our keyed lock is built into the companionway boards. I was planning to hide a key in an outside lazarette, but hadn't thought of locking it with a combo lock...duh.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
How about use a combination lock
:plus::plus:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B5YMDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had ours for 5 years, no corrosion, changeable and can be "tamper checked".

Tamper checked?
Leave a known set of numbers in position. Example: 9 1 1
When returning, if the lock is NOT set at 9 1 1, then someone has been trying to get in the boat.

Another tip..
Put a strip of velcro on the back of the lock and the other side stuck on the boat deck nearby.
Thus when you remove the lock, you stick it to the velcro and it is there close by.
The lock has stuck there in 7' seas too.:thumbup:

Jim...

PS: Our number is NOT 9 1 1

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
We never got “the call,” but we did forget the key, had to buy a pair of small bolt cutters at the local hardware store, and cut off the old lock. Then we bought the 4 digit, changeable, combination lock.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Then there was the call on a bitter cold February morning about my lying on its side in the yard. It had blown off the jack stands and took 2 boats with it. That was not a pleasant experience.
This is the call I always expected to get. For the first several years when we were on the hard, we were perpendicular to the prevailing winds. Frankly, I was surprised I never got that call!