Out with the old instruments, and in with the "new", for $200

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Our 87 Catalina 22 came with non-functional Signet Depth, Speed, and Wind Direction units.

The cost of replacing the missing components, and getting the system running, made me investigate other options.

It's not the 80s, and technology has come a long way. Being a bit of a nerd, my first possible option was to use a small laptop/netbook, combined with sensors, and open source software like Open CPN.

After a bit of research I decided to use the following:

1) USED Lowrance Mark 4 (Greyscale version of the Elite series, with GPS, Depth, and Charting Capabilities) $60 private sale.

The charting on this unit is limited, and like most proprietary marine stuff, the maps are expensive. Since it supports NMEA 0183 output, along with GPS and Depth, it is a great inexpensive unit to use with a tablet based solution.

Any depth finder with NMEA 0183 output would work though.
Check the specs on your unit.​

2) USED Pantech Element IP57 Rated Android Tablet $69 on ebay.

This waterproof android tablet, is only 8.5" x 6" so it take up little space.
That is a big plus with a small C22.
It also allows use of a sim card so it can have data via Wifi and Cellular. You can also make phone calls on it it you wanted.
The screen is bright and viewable in sunlight.

Unfortunately this tablet is discontinued, so it can be hard to find in as-new condition.

That said, you can get waterproof cases for both iPads, and android tablets. No need to buy anything fancy. The tablet you already have will work fine as long as it is not too old.​

3) NEW Yakback "Bi-Directional NMEA to WiFi Bridge" $70 USD + Free Shipping

Assuming you already have a Depth finder with NMEA output, and a tablet, you only need to buy one device to connect them.

A "NMEA Wifi bridge"
This is a device that accepts NMEA data from a NMEA enabled device and makes it available wirelessly via Wifi.

NMEA WiFi Bridge units are usually expensive for what they do.
Many have more features than the average boat would need.

Because of this, some nerds make their own devices.
But, what can you do if you just want a simple device, and can't make your own ?!

I found a product from a company in Australia.
They make a VERY small unit that is simple to use, and is inexpensive. ($70)

http://yakbitz.com/YakBak.aspx
http://yakbitz.com/Default.aspx

In this case GPS and Depth data from our Lowrance Mark 4 is sent out wirelessly to the Pantech Element and our android phones.
In the future the YakBak could easily send data other devices like the handheld DSC radio we want to eventually buy.

(The YakBak unit is the more expensive model, which allows Bi Directional data. this would allow it to send data from the charting software, to an autopilot if required.
To do this on our boat, we would need an additional multi input NMEA unit to handle more devices, in addition to an autopilot, but it is nice to have that option for future use.)

The units appear to be well made, and the price is great.
Go online and compare it with other products and you will see what I mean.
It comes with Free Worldwide Shipping and a 2 Year Warranty.

Yakbitz is a small Australian company.
I see that as a huge benefit. Large companies have a tendency to be unresponsive to customers, and try to lock you in to their equipment.
I have yet to need to call them for support, but based on what i have read online it appears they should be good to deal with.​

20190623_093148_HDR.jpg

Connecting it all together was easy.
1)Run 12vdc power to the Yakbak
2) connect the 3 wires from the Mark-4's NMEA cable to the Yakbak.
3) turn on power to yakback and Mark-4
4) connect tablet/phone to the Yakbak's Wifi Hotspot using the default password of 12345678.

20190623_093656_HDR_1.jpg
Connected just like any other Wi-Fi Hotspot.

5) Using a browser on the tablet/phone, go to http://192.168.6.1
6) Configure a new Wifi password, baud rate, and communication settings.
We used the baud rate that the Mark-4 allows, and the default of UDP port 2000 for sending the data over wifi.
7) In the browser, use Yakbak's NMEA data debug screen, to make sure the Yakbak is sending and receiving data.
8) Launch the navigation software on the tablet and configure it to use the data.
(on Navionics Boating HD, the data simply appeared on the screen. No additional configuration was needed)

Here's a photo of the Lowrance Mark 4 in Simulation mode, feeding GPS and Depth to with the tablet connected to the WiFi hotspot created by the YakBak Unit. (the observant will notice that the tablet shows 24 ft when the Depth finder shows 30. the tablet obviously hadn't updated in the split second of the photo being taken)

20190623_094514_HDR_1.jpg

Note: Being an older 2012 model, the Pantech Element only supports up to Android 4.0.4. This prevent us from using the latest version of Boating HD on the tablet.
(of course we can run the newest version on our phones)

We plan on testing the "i-Boating" app this summer. It currently supports older android tablets.

For those of you choosing to use iPads, you have more options for Nav software to run on your tablet.

Keep in mind that some software only supports connection to "authorized" hardware, even though it's NMEA 0183 data being passed. Some users have had success with tricks to get SOME of those apps to use data over a Wifi connection to "unofficial" device, but that is far beyond the scope of this post.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
LR....what u speak is WAY over my head, but good on you to figure it out and update for minimal boat bucks!!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
LR....what u speak is WAY over my head, but good on you to figure it out and update for minimal boat bucks!!
It's much easier than you think.
If you can connect a tablet or phone to the Wifi Hotspot... just like in a hotel or airport.
And connect 4 wires.
It more or less simply works.

In rare cases some ipad or android tablet nav apps won't work out of the box, but the common ones do.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hehe. Yeah. For some it might be.
With my perpetually curious and questioning mindset, I find it interesting how people can, say, build a garage, but have issues with configuring a computer.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I am that guy.

Well, I've always wanted to connect my ST2000 tiller pilot to the Garmin 740s so they could "talk". Guess who I'll be pestering for advice! :biggrin:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I am that guy.

Well, I've always wanted to connect my ST2000 tiller pilot to the Garmin 740s so they could "talk". Guess who I'll be pestering for advice! :biggrin:
Much more interesting is connecting your auto pilot with your wind instrumentation. That way it can steer to apparent wind, and track the shifting breeze!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our 87 Catalina 22 came with non-functional Signet Depth, Speed, and Wind Direction units.

The cost of replacing the missing components, and getting the system running, made me investigate other options.

It's not the 80s, and technology has come a long way. Being a bit of a nerd, my first possible option was to use a small laptop/netbook, combined with sensors, and open source software like Open CPN.

After a bit of research I decided to use the following:

1) USED Lowrance Mark 4 (Greyscale version of the Elite series, with GPS, Depth, and Charting Capabilities) $60 private sale.

The charting on this unit is limited, and like most proprietary marine stuff, the maps are expensive. Since it supports NMEA 0183 output, along with GPS and Depth, it is a great inexpensive unit to use with a tablet based solution.

Any depth finder with NMEA 0183 output would work though.
Check the specs on your unit.​

2) USED Pantech Element IP57 Rated Android Tablet $69 on ebay.

This waterproof android tablet, is only 8.5" x 6" so it take up little space.
That is a big plus with a small C22.
It also allows use of a sim card so it can have data via Wifi and Cellular. You can also make phone calls on it it you wanted.
The screen is bright and viewable in sunlight.

Unfortunately this tablet is discontinued, so it can be hard to find in as-new condition.

That said, you can get waterproof cases for both iPads, and android tablets. No need to buy anything fancy. The tablet you already have will work fine as long as it is not too old.​

3) NEW Yakback "Bi-Directional NMEA to WiFi Bridge" $70 USD + Free Shipping

Assuming you already have a Depth finder with NMEA output, and a tablet, you only need to buy one device to connect them.

A "NMEA Wifi bridge"
This is a device that accepts NMEA data from a NMEA enabled device and makes it available wirelessly via Wifi.

NMEA WiFi Bridge units are usually expensive for what they do.
Many have more features than the average boat would need.

Because of this, some nerds make their own devices.
But, what can you do if you just want a simple device, and can't make your own ?!

I found a product from a company in Australia.
They make a VERY small unit that is simple to use, and is inexpensive. ($70)

http://yakbitz.com/YakBak.aspx
http://yakbitz.com/Default.aspx

In this case GPS and Depth data from our Lowrance Mark 4 is sent out wirelessly to the Pantech Element and our android phones.
In the future the YakBak could easily send data other devices like the handheld DSC radio we want to eventually buy.

(The YakBak unit is the more expensive model, which allows Bi Directional data. this would allow it to send data from the charting software, to an autopilot if required.
To do this on our boat, we would need an additional multi input NMEA unit to handle more devices, in addition to an autopilot, but it is nice to have that option for future use.)

The units appear to be well made, and the price is great.
Go online and compare it with other products and you will see what I mean.
It comes with Free Worldwide Shipping and a 2 Year Warranty.

Yakbitz is a small Australian company.
I see that as a huge benefit. Large companies have a tendency to be unresponsive to customers, and try to lock you in to their equipment.
I have yet to need to call them for support, but based on what i have read online it appears they should be good to deal with.​

View attachment 166326

Connecting it all together was easy.
1)Run 12vdc power to the Yakbak
2) connect the 3 wires from the Mark-4's NMEA cable to the Yakbak.
3) turn on power to yakback and Mark-4
4) connect tablet/phone to the Yakbak's Wifi Hotspot using the default password of 12345678.

View attachment 166328
Connected just like any other Wi-Fi Hotspot.

5) Using a browser on the tablet/phone, go to http://192.168.6.1
6) Configure a new Wifi password, baud rate, and communication settings.
We used the baud rate that the Mark-4 allows, and the default of UDP port 2000 for sending the data over wifi.
7) In the browser, use Yakbak's NMEA data debug screen, to make sure the Yakbak is sending and receiving data.
8) Launch the navigation software on the tablet and configure it to use the data.
(on Navionics Boating HD, the data simply appeared on the screen. No additional configuration was needed)

Here's a photo of the Lowrance Mark 4 in Simulation mode, feeding GPS and Depth to with the tablet connected to the WiFi hotspot created by the YakBak Unit. (the observant will notice that the tablet shows 24 ft when the Depth finder shows 30. the tablet obviously hadn't updated in the split second of the photo being taken)

View attachment 166327

Note: Being an older 2012 model, the Pantech Element only supports up to Android 4.0.4. This prevent us from using the latest version of Boating HD on the tablet.
(of course we can run the newest version on our phones)

We plan on testing the "i-Boating" app this summer. It currently supports older android tablets.

For those of you choosing to use iPads, you have more options for Nav software to run on your tablet.

Keep in mind that some software only supports connection to "authorized" hardware, even though it's NMEA 0183 data being passed. Some users have had success with tricks to get SOME of those apps to use data over a Wifi connection to "unofficial" device, but that is far beyond the scope of this post.

@Leeward Rail , what a cool post! Lots of great thoughts here.

I had never heard of Yakbitz. Nice find. Those prices are amazing. Not sure how they make money. I have a Digital Yacht NMEA,=>Seatalk dongle that cost $150 on sale.

Devices will often show different numbers based on NMEA data because they each will have their own method to smooth and de-jitter the raw incoming data. This also means the a device often sends data different from what it is displaying at the moment!

It looks like you are sending the plotters depth data around; I'd get into the habit of not thinking that is 'depth'. Use the plotter for general SA 'Situational Awareness', but don't get into the habit of treating the number it conjures up as how much water is actually under you. Remember this advice comes from a man that used to design those things! ;^)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
how 'bout you guys get together and market this system to dummies like me?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Use the plotter for general SA 'Situational Awareness',
Fully Agreed.

In spite of the fact I am a nerd for the tech, when it comes to navigation I rely on multiple sources of info including eyes.

You would be foolhardy to rely on any single source of data when making decisions.

I still like paper charts. In fact we use 2 old handheld garmin units with old Bluechart data maps, combined with current paper CHS charts at this point. Having a bigger display with updated vector charts will be nice and give us another backup.

Depth info is just part of it here of course, Having the previously unused GPS data from the Mark 4 available for a future DSC radio was part of the plan.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
how 'bout you guys get together and market this system to dummies like me?
My wife and I were discussing that actually.
Some set up where someone supplies a list of their gear and they then receive the additional components preconfigured.

Remote support software would allow troubleshooting the tablet used.

Unfortunately it would still require the customer running cables themselves.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I had never heard of Yakbitz. Nice find. Those prices are amazing. Not sure how they make money. I have a Digital Yacht NMEA,=>Seatalk dongle that cost $150 on sale.

Agreed.

Some people make their own arduino or Raspberry Pi based units. There are lots of posts on the net on how to make your own. The Raspberry Pi systems are generally more capable but more expensive, while arduino units that handle seatalk to NMEA can be as low a $15 in DIY form.

No reason why the commercial units can't be lower priced. I suspect it is simply "charge what you can"

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Here is a different idea:

You definitely need depth, so get a reliable depth gauge with read-out at the cockpit/helm.

I find a wind instrument to be a needless distraction. My windex, sails, telltales, compass, and inclinometer combine with wave conditions and other observations to tell all I need to know about the wind.

In a lake without tides or large currents, a gps provides fast and accurate speed. So a handheld charting gps completes my instrumentation.

Finally, if we are sailing, I’m on the tiller! The autopilot is for motoring/motorsailing which is always on a fixed course.

I’m a systems guy, but the setup above reflects my love of sailing our boat, and value for simplicity.