Wing keel mod

Jan 6, 2018
Hunter Legend 37.5 RKYC & Belleisle Bay
Has anyone out there cut off the wings from the keel of a Legend 37.5?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have them on my 40.5. Why would you want to do that? The wings are there for a reason.

Jan 6, 2018
I agree that they are probably not there for show and suspect removal would affect stability and performance, so that’s why I’m asking. Another Hunter owner in our club suggested removal based on a situation of getting stuck in the mud as it can be extremely difficult to get out of. I don’t plan on that situation but you never know.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
If you need to sail in an area with less than 5' of water, please sell that boat & buy another that is better suited to your needs. Cutting the wings off of that one will make it sail to windward poorly & capsize more easily. Please don't do that.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You must leave the wing keel or you can flip your boat.
_____
getting stuck in the mud as it can be extremely difficult to get out of
I buried my wing keel in hard mud by surprise.
I thought we were going to need a tow to pull it out.
Nope...
I let gravity and buoyancy do its work. Waited about 5 minutes and the boat pulled itself out of the "Stuck"
You can help by moving people aft.
Note: the wing keel has a torpedo like point that at first, sticks it.

Next steps:
1) Rudder set amidships so it has no resistance to reversing course
2) Reverse engine, slow speed, and wait. High RPMs will tend to put bow down.
3) It may take a few minutes in reverse.
4) Don't move your rudder until free.

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks everyone. Enough said, the wings will stay attached which is what I actually preferred, just thought I’d ask the community. I’m not one to absentmindedly butcher a design. I have a 1957 MGA roadster that has been restored to stock.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Next time this comes up, ask Mars Metals located in Canada that question who fabricated your keel. Also, Warren Luhrs once said to a dealer NO as it would affect stability and it was easier to get if stuck than other mfgs.... Warren owned Hunter and use to race sometimes solo around the world. I use to supply peach brandy or moonshine

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When cutting a lead keel, hard to repair. I do not suggest that anyway as many will walk away upon inspection if and when you do decide to sell. I as a dealer refused several boats as brokerage or trade in due to a boat that I took in on trade with a cut keel and lost quite a bit never to do that again.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
It's cast iron. Each wiglet weight 50 lbs Still left rest of wing but what it did was give much better light wind performance Don't get me wrong I've had her to 35 knots wind with 1 reef and she's a hand full seems to over power easy. But man she fly in light air . H30g

Jun 25, 2019
Hunter 28 Treasure Island Marina, Kingst
I bought my Hunter28 last year and began to enjoy this summer after lots of repairs. I discussed with a friend who has had a 30 for at least 10 years, and he told me that he felt the boat was accelerating under certain conditions and heeling due to the wing keel. I did see kind of an acceleration at one point on my knot meter last week-end, but I still have to reexperience it since I am just beginning to explore the possibilities of the boat (my previous boat was a fin keel). I would like to know what the designer of the keel thought when he drew it! Any answers?

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
You know what I mean. Anyway it was also referred that way
Actually, I didn't know what you meant. I am familiar with casting of keels. I am familiar with extruding of other items. In a high volume production situation, extruding the material, and cutting to length as needed for individual keels, may make sense.

Thanks for the clarification.