Upholstery cleaning

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Well it looks like it will rain tomorrow so I want to do a job that has been on my mind for about a year. I figured I would go to the best experts on the water to to get some advice.
Has any one taken off the covers on the upholstery down below and washed them?
I don’t see any other way to clean them and I am afraid if I clean them while installed on the foam inner cushion it may degrade the foam.
Hopefully someone has an answer to this. The boat is a Beneteau 331, and the material is a robust material, not like velour or anything like that. I was thinking about taking them to the laundromat at the marina and washing them on gentle cycle in Woolite or something else gentle. Any help deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

Weasel

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Weasel,
When I first got my new to me Beneteau 7 years ago, the cushions were absorbed with a horrible odor from sitting in a closed cabin with a half full holding tank over two months during the summer. After emptying and cleaning the holding tank and removing everything aboard, I took the cushions home and removed the covers from the foam and soaked the foam in a mixture of woolite and mild bleach in the bath tub. I vacuumed the foam and placed them in the hot sun for a few days to completely dry. After the foam was cleaned, I soaked the fabric covers in a woolite solution (NO bleach) and hung them to drip dry a bit and reinstalled them on the foam. I vacuumed them thoroughly with a shop vac to get most of the water out and let them air dry in the hot sun for a couple days. When the cushions were thoroughly dry, I sprayed them with scotch guard fabric treatment. The odor was completely gone as well as just about all of the stains. I replaced the covers (same foam) a few years later because my wife and I didn't like the lime green color. I was somewhat concerned about putting the covers in a washing machine and I didn't want to allow them to dry without being installed on the foam cushions for fear of shrinkage of the fabric.
I spent approximately 30 days/nights aboard a 331, over a few years, when I chartered in Pensacola. Great boat!

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Thanks Easy, I will proceed with caution.hope everything is good down in Louisiana! I will post before and after photos.

Thanks much!

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Easy & Bob S

Your advice was superb. Along with Bob S advice I am sitting on nice clean cushions!
Thanks to both of you guys. If you guys ever get to Tennessee, the BBQ And beer are on me!

Weasel