Whisker Pole Mast Storage

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
My Hunter 340 has the whisker pole stored on mast. The top end is on the ring pulled up high on the track. Near the bottom, the pole stores in the mast mount pole chock with the bottom end pushed down as snug against the deck cable box as we can get it. The jib sheet still manages to slip under the pole end at the wrong time in high winds and really mess up a tack. I'm thinking about adding a lower ring on the cable box or mast for the bottom end fitting. It may be clumsy to unclip when you need the pole and still keep the top fitting in it's ring. Or like a PVC end cap for the pole end to sit in.
How does everyone else keep their slack jib sheet from getting behind the mast stored whisker pole?
pole.jpg

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I like the pic pipe idea just dip the stick in pipe. If u have a 2" pole there 2-1/2" outside so a 3" pipe should do it

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I put a pad eye on the deck screwed into the aluminum plate under the mast. Then a shackle. Never had a problem with it. Now that little hatch.........
20160211_164808.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my H26, the two stanchion posts on the cabin top have little "legs" to which I clip my whisker pole. You can just make out the pole in the second picture. And you can see the "legs" in the first picture.

2018-05-31 18.50.37.jpg

upload_2019-6-18_18-55-28.png

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
This should work to keep the sheets from getting between the whisker pole and the mast. I'll see if it causes any issues with using the pole after a couple sails, if no problems, I'll mount a more permanent ring like Allan12210.
003.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Bill, what whisker pole do you have? Is it fixed length or telescoping?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill, what whisker pole do you have? Is it fixed length or telescoping?
I will measure the length and diameter next trip to the boat. It is fixed length, came with the boat. Attaches to the mast on a sliding ring on a track. It seems to be a good length for the 108% jib on my 340.
With a little practice very easy to use and seems to really help boat speed when wing on wing.
004.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Back to the drawing board on the whisker pole storage. Not sure what came loose on the tack at 1:45 in the video, but it happened again on the next tack.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This is what we use. Mount to deck and no problem w/sheets.
pole fitting.jpg

We actually have 2. One at the mast and one a bit off to allow access to manual main RF back up.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I don't know about your whisker pole but your production revs me up real good! I carry mine on the port side stanchions, but that hasn't worked out real well either.
IMG_0906.JPG

The genoa sheet will sometimes snag on the aft end of it. I've almost lost it, which caused me to try to attach the topping lift (also, I thought it might be convenient if the topping lift were permanently attached). For obvious reasons, that doesn't work either. :(

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
On stanchions is best. (There’s enough at the mast already.) But anchor it low down near the deck.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Capta has it right. Having a whisker pole stored on the mast or out on stanchions is just waiting for a snag to happen. You are lucky if it didn’t get broken or bent; there’s a LOT of leverage involved with something that long. Mount the fittings Capta shows on deck at each end of the pole and never worry about it again.

Nice to see you finally got some breeze down there!

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Bill, I mounted my extendable whisker pole (11’-18’) on the mast and I let my pole touch the deck. So far no issues with rubbing a spot on the deck. I used to have a problem with sheets getting in and behind the mast mounted pole until I let it down all the way. Since then I’ve had no problems with sheets. Originally I had it on chocks mounted on stanchions but found in races it took 2 guys on foredeck to manhandle the heavy pole. My concern on Galv Bay with winds and chop they would accidentally drop overboard and at the cost of the pole I decided to go with it mounted on mast track. Now I only need one person on deck and it’s easier to set up.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Bill, I mounted my extendable whisker pole (11’-18’) on the mast and I let my pole touch the deck. So far no issues with rubbing a spot on the deck. I used to have a problem with sheets getting in and behind the mast mounted pole until I let it down all the way. Since then I’ve had no problems with sheets. Originally I had it on chocks mounted on stanchions but found in races it took 2 guys on foredeck to manhandle the heavy pole. My concern on Galv Bay with winds and chop they would accidentally drop overboard and at the cost of the pole I decided to go with it mounted on mast track. Now I only need one person on deck and it’s easier to set up.
Exactly why I want to keep it on the mast. The mast end stays attached, just slide the car down and snap the other end onto the sheet. One crew, quick and easy, no chance of dropping it in the bay. What happened Saturday was wild and could have caused damage or harm to crew, so I have to do something different.
If I put it on the stanchions, my clumsy ass will end up with stitches in my shins, on the deck, I'll end up with busted toes. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and photos.
I do have it slid down as far as it can go when it's stowed, but it's on top of the mast wire box and there's enough wiggle to let the jib sheet slip under it when it gets whipping in high winds. The rope loop the lower end was clipped on, I thought would keep the sheet out, I guess had enough slack to let sheet catch just enough of the end hook. And the loop slipped through the keeper pin somehow, lucky it didn't rip the mast wire box off the deck and yank all the mast wires out. I really don't want to drill a hole in the deck, but what Allen 12210 has should work and be quick and easy. Still thinking on it, might try something with a little PVC pipe and big zip ties if I can make it look right and work.
The bay was pretty wild Saturday. We did great on the first leg reach and stayed close on the second leg downwind, even though we didn't fly an a-sail in those winds. But, we couldn't keep up close hauled in 20 knots with our wing keel and sagging B & R forestay, had fun trying though. A lot of boats didn't have to tack to make the finish line, we tacked and still had to slow way down trying to point too high to make it through the finish line markers without tacking again.

003.jpg

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
:plus: That’s where I put mine.

View attachment 173956

Although I just mounted it late in the fall, so I’ve only had a couple of days to test it there.
Have mine mounted on stanchions up high but your picture makes me want to move it down, question whether it is an ankle buster? How far down do I take it?

Is that a fixed pole?

Jeff