Where to put replacement breaker panel

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I have an older (1974) Catalina 22 that has the breaker panel right down at the sole where it's hard to see and easy to step on the power cords.

I plan on replacing the breaker panel, mostly because I need more switches now that I added a deck light and an anchor light.

I'm assuming lots of people have replaced the breaker panels in these older boats. Where'd you put the new panel?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
anywhere but where Catalina put it!!!
seriously, I see most relocated to port side, beside aft dinette seat mounted on/in the "shelf" area...chk cloud divers thread...typical location...that's where mine's going, someday...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you do that, it’s a great time to read-wire the whole boat! The 70s wiring was a tangled mess, along with 40+ years of PO ‘improvements’.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
for guests newly on board, my introductory protocol is:
1. Here's where the pfd's are, wear them.
2. Here's the throwables for MOB.
3. Here's where Catalina put the breaker panel, don't step on it and break off the toggle switches.
4. Here's where the porta-pottie is, use it only if in distress! (guys, over the side).

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
If you do that, it’s a great time to read-wire the whole boat! The 70s wiring was a tangled mess, along with 40+ years of PO ‘improvements’.

That’s the scheme.

It all started because my steaming light went out.

Rather than fix it, I decided to replace it with a new LED fixture and run new wires. And as long as I’m getting a new fixture might as well get one with a deck light in it. And as long as I’m running new wires up the mast I might as well run them all the way to the top so I can add an anchor light. And a windex light, I’ve always wanted a windex light.

But now I need two more switches, for the anchor light and the deck light. I guess I need a new panel. As long as I’m getting a new panel I might as well re-wire the whole boat. And as long as I’m re-wiring the whole boat I might as put the batteries next to each other (they’re wired in series for 24 volts, but one is under the companionway, the other is in the old fuel tank spot back at the transom).

As long as I’m moving the batteries I should move them forward. The boat is a bit ass heavy, getting those two group 31 batteries up under the forward dinette seat would help.

As long as I’m moving the batteries I should replace that dodgy old plug on the trolling motor with a nice Anderson Powerpole connector.

And this is how every project, no matter how small, ends up costing over $500.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
anywhere but where Catalina put it!!!
seriously, I see most relocated to port side, beside aft dinette seat mounted on/in the "shelf" area...chk cloud divers thread...typical location...that's where mine's going, someday...
I was thinking in the "shelf" area above the galley. I will look for a thread by Cloud Diver.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
When relocating I'd suggest putting it in a place that's easy to find in the dark. I always had to bust out a flashlight at night to turn on the cabin lights in one of my boats

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
keep us posted on where u put it, and which panel you choose....it is on my short list, only a matter of time b4 someone (probably me or the Admiral) steps on it or snags something on the toggle switches! I did re-wire some last year and put a buss bar in so the switcheroo on ours won't be difficult. Good time to put a battery switch in as well, as you run 2 batteries (we don't).

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
keep us posted on where u put it, and which panel you choose....it is on my short list, only a matter of time b4 someone (probably me or the Admiral) steps on it or snags something on the toggle switches!
I ordered one of these:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|2290000|2290006&id=51111

Sort of as a test. I think I'll want more than 6 switches, so if I like this model maybe I'll run two of them.

I'm thinking I'll go with port shelf like CloudDiver. Or possibly starboard. Thinking.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
certainly looks adequate, and similar in size and capacity as the original...price is right too...

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
certainly looks adequate, and similar in size and capacity as the original...price is right too...
Yeah, for $40 I can afford to play around with it and I'm not out too much if I decide I need something else.

By my measurements it would fit exactly where the current panel is, but of course I don't want it there...

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Yeah, for $40 I can afford to play around with it and I'm not out too much if I decide I need something else.

By my measurements it would fit exactly where the current panel is, but of course I don't want it there...
I have what looks like the exact same panel (from a PO, one of his better moves). And one of these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VHWLQQ/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1) for more switches on some circuits (interior lights, deck light, etc.). I didn't think I paid as much as Amazon is quoting now, but from my purchase history, apparently I did.

On the port side works pretty well for us, although the red lights annoy my wife when she's sleeping on the dinette berth with our daughter.