Built a corded 12-volt drill

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Ok...seems like a lot of work. I just keep a fairly inexpensive Master Force 20V cordless drill on board, and the charger is plugged in when on shore power.

I do the same with my Milwaukee 90-degree right-angle drill with a “Cranker” bit.

Greg

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
Ok...seems like a lot of work. I just keep a fairly inexpensive Master Force 20V cordless drill on board, and the charger is plugged in when on shore power.
I have solar for 12-volt DC, but I'm on a mooring so I never have shore power.

When I was using a cordless drill I had to bring the drill home to charge it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have solar for 12-volt DC, but I'm on a mooring so I never have shore power.

When I was using a cordless drill I had to bring the drill home to charge it.
Yes, that would make it harder. If you have 2 batteries for the drill, you just rotate one home for charging when needed.

Greg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Ryobi makes a 12 vdc powered charger for their 18V One series cordless tools. That's what I'm using on my boats now.

That aside, I'm going to look through my old cordless drills that use obsolete batteries & see if any of them are 12v. If they are... I'm going to have another quick little project on my hands.

...Great idea.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
All this talk about easier ways to approach this problem of having a drill onboard. There are lots of reasonable solutions, but the creativity and resourcefulness of converting/ redesigning something obsolete to become something you made yourself is what's so cool about this.
:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)