Mast questions

Hood

May 25, 2019
Macgregor Venture 21 Southern IN-KY-IL
Hi All,
I have seen a few posts of sailors using masts from other models on their boats. How do I know this would work, what all do I need to look for? I have a V21(24'3), and am looking at a salvage Mac22 (25'3). I saw where I could cut the bottom, but it's getting the rigging in the right place that confuses me. Will I need to re-rig the whole mast? Is this going to impact sail function? I want back on the water as soon as I can, but don't wait to spend money on a mast that isn't going to work.
Any advice would be great, thanks!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I had to replace my mast, used one from a much larger boat.
All I had to do was re-drill the holes for the through bolts and attach the old standing rigging and boom exactly like it was.

Since my new mast has a larger footprint I did have to modify my tabernacle however...

Hood

May 25, 2019
I had to replace my mast, used one from a much larger boat.
All I had to do was re-drill the holes for the through bolts and attach the old standing rigging and boom exactly like it was.

Since my new mast has a larger footprint I did have to modify my tabernacle however...
Thank you for the info! How does she sail now compared to before? Do you sails still trim well?

Aug 22, 2011
Thank you for the info! How does she sail now compared to before? Do you sails still trim well?
Well, its hard for m to quantify exactly. At the time the new mast went up so did a brand new main sail replacing a completely worn out one that I had been using for years. Plus I had at the same time added a bunch of sail controls. Everything changed.

With the heavier mast the boat seems to "lean over" initially easier but then settles fine in a sweet stable groove.
In high winds the boat in no longer a squirrely jumpity monster and rides thru big puffs like a battleship on rails.

Anyway, I am looking for another "MAC" mast just to reduce weight aloft and ease handling of the mast. I have discovered that OEM Mac masts are light flexy noodles compared to many other brands.

Hood

May 25, 2019
Good to know! I did find another Mac mast from a 22 that I am going to get tomorrow. Interesting that the heavier mast made that much difference in the responsiveness, something to think about. Thanks!

Aug 22, 2011
Good to know! I did find another Mac mast from a 22 that I am going to get tomorrow. Interesting that the heavier mast made that much difference in the responsiveness, something to think about. Thanks!
The real change in handling was more due to the new main sail rather than the heavier mast I'm thinking..

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hi Hood, does the mast you're getting have shrouds, etc. The 21 was fractional rig out of factory. The 22 is mast head rigged, or should be. I wouldn't start chopping any thing off until you have stepped the mast to see what you have to do with the rigging. I wouldn't mess with the spreader since you're talking maybe a foot difference. Too many holes in mast not good. I would leave it mast head rigged. I think the mast extrusion from the factory is the same for both boats. Keep us posted. Send pics....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
By the way. Mouse looks like she's in pretty good shape. Do you know what year she was built?