Tightening Turnbuckles

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
I have 3 questions;
1. I need to tighten some turnbuckles on our 2001 420 passage. Should you use zip ties to lock them in place after or stick to the stainless steel wire?
2. Should I lube the threads and back off the turnbuckle before tightening to get lube in the whole thread?
3. What is the recommended lubricant?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On a boat that size, unless you are adjusting them every time out (race boat) I’d secure them with cotters.

Boeshield T-9 is the way to go.

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
Would the Turnbuckles on a 2001 Hunter 420 Passage be chrome plated Bronze?
I would like to have a good idea what I am in for before I start the maintenance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That would be a good possibility. But not seeing yours makes it only a guess.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Boeshield is interesting. I have been using tef gel but maybe the threaded parts aren’t stainless and won’t gall. It seems to make adjustments easy.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Tefgel. Boesheild is good, but Tefgel is better for this. That's what Stayloc and other use.

Yes, If I didn't know how they were lubed, I would back them off, clean them well (dirt really contributes to galling) and tighten very, very slowly. No more than 2 turns per minutes, once the load comes on (although this depends on the size of the boat), to prevent heating.

Virtually ALL turnbuckles are stainless male with bronze female inserts, even if they are primarily stainless. SS/SS will gall in a heartbeat in this application. SS/SS is generally only for lifelines, although you do see it on some small boat stays.