All New Electronics for Hunter Legend 35.5

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I am replacing all of my electronics with new Raymarine gear ( Wind pack, axiom chartplotter, auto pilot ) and looking for the best location for all of the computer components.
It will have 3 back bone bus bars along with the computer pieces. I am split on placing them in the cockpit front or rear starboard seat. Would like to have easy access but well protected.
The old Autohelm flux was originally mounted just above the depth transducer and not sure if that is too long of a run for the new Raymarine EV1.
Any suggestion or similar experience would be appreciated.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
I replaced the original auto pilot in My Corona last year with the new system, We placed the equipment under the master cabin bunk but the tech told me that it basically could have gone anywhere including where the old flux gate was mounted, forward in the hull.

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
Yes I never thought of under the aft bunk. How far from the engine and shaft should it be

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
I mounted the computer and the EV unit in the same compartment as the raw water strainer for the diesel and the strainers for the air conditioner which we never use. this compartment is just aft of the shaft at the stuffing box and only a few feet from the engine. No problems encountered.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think the manual suggests close to the boat centerline. There is a calibration step where you identify the location in reference to the boats centerline.

It should be dry and at least 3 feet from large iron based metal or magnets. How I know about magnets? I placed a boom box down on the top of the cabinet holding my RV100 sensor. The boat immediately started to do “Crazy Ivan’s”. Moved the boom box and the magnets in the speakers - all is again good in the universe and the AP is again driving a straight line. Moral. Magnets and the AP sensor do not play well together.

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
I am replacing all of my electronics with new Raymarine gear ( Wind pack, axiom chartplotter, auto pilot ) and looking for the best location for all of the computer components.
It will have 3 back bone bus bars along with the computer pieces. I am split on placing them in the cockpit front or rear starboard seat. Would like to have easy access but well protected.
The old Autohelm flux was originally mounted just above the depth transducer and not sure if that is too long of a run for the new Raymarine EV1.
Was wondering what are you doing with your old stuff?

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
Was wondering what are you doing with your old stuff?
Do you have the old Auto helm 4000? I am looking for one if you are replacing it. I have the 1990 35.5 as well