Quick VC17 Bottom Paint Question

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for the tip!

I bought some condiment bottles as well.Does transferring twice cause a lot of wasted paint? I have four quarts so I should have extra
Use a funnel. You'll always lose a little paint when transferring from one container to another. However, with VC 17 unless the transfer is really sloppy the amount lost to evaporation will exceed the amount lost to transferring containers.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
VOC. Try not to breathe too much of the solvent.
Oh that would screw up the whole "getting high" while your paint thing. What are the hippy yard boys going to do if you spoil all their fun in the job.

" Not in any way to disparage BMW's Boat Marina workers."

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Oh that would screw up the whole "getting high" while your paint thing. What are the hippy yard boys going to do if you spoil all their fun in the job.
This is how I get Indiana folk at the marina to work on my boat for free!

And final question... Two coats for heavily worn areas, water line, leading edge of keel and one coat for the rest?

Oct 22, 2014
one coat for the rest
Yes unless you find it drys too thin then a second coat might be warranted. As always ask the product manufacturer. They are the experts with this stuff. We all have experience knowledge, some have chemistry skills as well. I know I, when in doubt, double the coats...

Jan 11, 2014
This is how I get Indiana folk at the marina to work on my boat for free!

And final question... Two coats for heavily worn areas, water line, leading edge of keel and one coat for the rest?
Leading edge of keel, bow, and the whole rudder gets 2 coats. On will do for the rest. after a couple of seasons of applying the paint only the high wear areas and those exposed to sun will need painting every year, the rest can go a couple of seasons. Of course this depends on the marina. Some marinas promote a lot of growth, others not as much.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom! I think this covers just about everything that the manufacturer doesn't mention

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah and while you are admiring the pretty colours after inhaling the VOC's, try to remember that you should never over-roll the stuff. If you go back over what you just painted, you'll notice a nice tendency to lift the original stuff off. VC17 is easy if you follow the rules, and can be a bear of you don't.

Oct 22, 2014
Is it dry or wet paint that has a tendency to lift off?
I'm am going to guess here... Paint that has not properly dried so that the chemical bond between the hull and the paint has not yet been fully formed. The paint surface may appear dry or drying, but it is still goo beneath and will scream and rebel when you try to smooth it out with a little more roller.

Feb 5, 2009
Gloucester 20 Kanawha River, Winfield, WV
Is it dry or wet paint that has a tendency to lift off?
I've read the warnings about over-rolling, but I haven't really found it to be a problem. In my more ham-handed moments I've wiped off under-layers, but I just go back over it again gently and it all evens out. The stuff dries so ding dang fast that I seldom find myself rolling over wet paint. You'll get the hang of it pretty quick. Just don't forget to take a picture while it's still shiny and pretty.
shiny.jpg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you roll it, and then immediately roll over what you just put on, it has a tendency to lift what you just put down, all the while solidifying the stuff on the other side of the roller. It's best to do one swipe, and then move along. As mentioned elsewhere, it dries faster than you can put it on anyway.

Jan 11, 2014
The cheapest way to go is to use a large water bottle with a "sports" top. Drink the water while waxing the boat and then use the bottle for the paint. The bottles will last for years. Every now and then dip the top into some acetone to clean out the accumluated crud.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks for the tip!

I bought some condiment bottles as well.Does transferring twice cause a lot of wasted paint? I have four quarts so I should have extra
I can’t say that I lose much paint at all.
The condiment bottle I use closes after each use so evaporation is kept to a minimum