Still Glad I Have A Day Job

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Really fun day racing on Galveston Bay, but still not quitting my day job just yet. I definitely can't make a living trying to make a wing keel Hunter point with other boats in 20 knot winds. Reefed main, vang loose, jib cars back, still way too much heel. Reaching legs were great though.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bill if sailing was a job, they would not call it FUN...
It would be work with schedules and deadlines and you would be under paid and asked to stay at it for long hours.

You guys do look like you are having FUN...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
OK I'm a broken record, but you gotta get crew on the rail, in particular in breeze with a shoal-keel boat. It makes a huge difference. Like the boat at 1:51. Having people sitting in the cockpit is slow. Sitting low is deadly!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
OK I'm a broken record, but you gotta get crew on the rail, in particular in breeze with a shoal-keel boat. It makes a huge difference. Like the boat at 1:51. Having people sitting in the cockpit is slow. Sitting low is deadly!
I know, I know, that boat did have some weight on the rail. The three not steering on my boat were probably only 500 lbs. all together. But, 500 lbs. is still way better on the rail than in the cockpit. We tried a few times, but it was a very wet ride and we were already behind. The one crew always put his daughter in the front when they did get on the rail.
IMG_4415.jpg

Seemed like the biggest issue of the race was no one could hold a steady course in the chop and strong shifting winds. A lot of starboard tackers were all over the place and we couldn't line up a good cross and would end up tacking just to stay clear. Had to tack nine times on the 4 mile windward leg.
Screenshot_20190617-094251_Sailing Log.jpg