Fix-It Fest

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
There is nothing like running a large boating association to assure you don't have time to use your boat. So it's been a year since we have used ours for anything other than a hotel. Taking a couple of weeks in Catalina Island. Noticed the regulator isn't regulating, the bow lites won't lite and the tachometer won't tach. Time to start with cleaning all the connections before more invasive surgery. The worst thing you can do to a boat is not use it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Amen! Between her mom and my mom’s health issues and our caregiving for them, we have not taken the boat out of the slip for a bit now.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The regulator and tach are probably related. Get it charging and the tach will probably start to magically work.

Les

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
The regulator and tach are probably related. Get it charging and the tach will probably start to magically work.
That's what I thought, but the sender is on the flywheel, not the alternator. Dang.
Les

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
A Freakin' men

We've got a half dozen coach boats around fifty sailboats from Optis to a J-27 and a dozen and a half trailers that I take care of all as a volunteer. Got involved while my daughter has taking lessons we had two coach boats, six Optis, eight Sunfish and six 420s. Been too successful for my own good, keep asking for them to fire me. We did just hire a full time guy to oversee the program so there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Amen. Terrible thing for a marine engine to not start it and use it regularly. I had a friend who made a lot of bucks buying seized outboards from people and freeing them up using Marvel Mystery Oil.

Good for you for going through your boat before you got stuck! Too many boat owners would just assume all was as it was left.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Well, over in Cat Harbor Catalina Island. Started with the tachometer. Pulled the leads from the flywheel sensor and cleaned them up. Pulled the panel and checked the tach harness connection. Clean and bright. Still no tach. Time to look at options I guess. Also checked the Xantrex digital external alternator regulator. Everything checks out except the stator lead voltage which should be between 7 & 12 volts. I get zero to one. Checked the connection at the (Balmar) alternator. Seems fine. So at this point, I'm throwing in the towel for today and going to the village for a hamburger and beer. Tomorrow, will be dedicated to varnish and brass. At least it works.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Polished the brass. Looks great. Tomorrow wood with Feed n' Wax. No sun but weather is great in Catalina. Went to the village today for a shower since our ten gallon solar shower never warmed up. Two showers at four dollars each plus fifteen each for a hamburger and fish taco. Fifty dollar day and no booze. But hey, I didn't have to and everything comes from the mainland, so you won't hear me complain. Good for them for keeping up the place....

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well, over in Cat Harbor Catalina Island. Started with the tachometer. Pulled the leads from the flywheel sensor and cleaned them up. Pulled the panel and checked the tach harness connection. Clean and bright. Still no tach. Time to look at options I guess. Also checked the Xantrex digital external alternator regulator. Everything checks out except the stator lead voltage which should be between 7 & 12 volts. I get zero to one. Checked the connection at the (Balmar) alternator. Seems fine. So at this point, I'm throwing in the towel for today and going to the village for a hamburger and beer. Tomorrow, will be dedicated to varnish and brass. At least it works.
Good Morning, Rick
I’ve encountered symptons similar to what you mention regarding the tach and voltage regulator. The diesel was running but no RPMs and no reading at the Balmar external regulator. Fuel gauge also did not register. It turned out that the ignition was off. [Les’s common element as to why both fail to register.] Tweaked somehow where I did not get the alarm, but it was nevertheless off. Perhaps check that the ignition switch does not cut out somehow when it springs back after the diesel fires up.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Polished the brass. Looks great. Tomorrow wood with Feed n' Wax. No sun but weather is great in Catalina. Went to the village today for a shower since our ten gallon solar shower never warmed up. Two showers at four dollars each plus fifteen each for a hamburger and fish taco. Fifty dollar day and no booze. But hey, I didn't have to and everything comes from the mainland, so you won't hear me complain. Good for them for keeping up the place....
We like Cat Harbor & the Village! But prices are up everywhere, or nearly everywhere. The days of even the $10 hamburger near the water in Southern CA are behind us. It’s just good to be aboard and to be away!:thumbup:

Last edited: