Is this normal?

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Or should I be worried?

Catalina 30. Forward hatch above v-berth. Specifically, the uneven curve.
Screenshot_20190605-215710_Gallery.jpg

No indication of anything out of place top side.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Could be that the trim is simply installed wonky.

I'd be more concerned about the seal gasket.

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Ah if it's just trim I'm not too worried about it. I had a look at it today and running my hand forward of the hatch I could feel that strange bend extending out past the trim.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Newbie3,
Since no screw heads are visible around the other sides of the hatch opening I would guess that a repair occurred in that area from the underside of the deck. Anything from loose trim, replaced hatch, to removed core material due to a leak could be reasons for the oddity. None of those reasons are earth shaking. Investigation (if there are no other screws) could include removing those three screws and "seeing what shakes out". Alternatively, if there is no leaking and no unusual bends or cracks on deck, just enjoy sailing the boat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I would guess the three screws are to keep the trim in place where it would pull away around the abnormal bend. Could it be from tensioning the rig? Check your mast compression post, your chainplates on both stays and shrouds. I would wonder if this was deflection and warping from pressure.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would wonder if this was deflection and warping from pressure.
@Newbie3 guessing you are still deciding about a purchase. Ask the owner what happened. Could have been a tall thick headed guy getting out of the V-berth in a hurry. Look for cracking, moisture, other damage inside or out that could be linked to the issue you see. It is a bit unusual.

Feb 6, 2019
None None None
Oh no turning back now... I'm deep in it on this one already!

@Newbie3 guessing you are still deciding about a purchase. Ask the owner what happened. Could have been a tall thick headed guy getting out of the V-berth in a hurry. Look for cracking, moisture, other damage inside or out that could be linked to the issue you see. It is a bit unusual.

Attachments

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm deep in it on this one already!
With that in mind, if the deck above the wavy part is solid (stand on it and move around, see how much it gives), that's all that really matters. Poke at the liner underneath, take off the trim and have a look. Probably a wonky repair but it could still be solid enough.
And keep us up to date on the refit progress!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can't really see very much from the photo, but the deck level looks even and the curve is all on the underside. From the photo, it looks like it has been ramped out to smoothly blend with the rest of the ceiling. I'm not exactly sure, but the screws placement doesn't look symmetrical but they give the impression of being methodically placed. I can't help but wonder if it was cut out on purpose to fit some cabin modification through the hatch or provide a little extra headroom. The latter sounds a little extreme if not down right ridiculous. Actually both options sound kinda ridiculous.
Is the hatch centered and the curve offset? In any case, it looks like finished work and unless it leaks or the hatch doesn't work properly, all is well.

-Will (Dragonfly)