two hammocks hung between forestay and mast?

May 20, 2019
Catalina 36 MKI GIG HARBOR
Wondering if anyone has hung two hammocks between forestay and mast. One persons feels like a lot of weight, but she and I are only about 350 put together, we're wondering if hanging two hammocks side by side would be too much stress on the forestay. Anyone done this and comfortable with it?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What size boat?
A 225 pound member of the Mariner Class Association hangs a hammock under the boom of his Mariner supported by a topping lift. I would expect a forestay cable to be adequate, but the forces, without a spar to support the stay, will be in a different direction. You'll be putting a perpendicular vector into the direct tension line. This increases the overall tension as well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think the issue is will a hammock attachment line wrapped around the furled head sail damage the furler, sail or forestay with 350lbs suspended from it?

I do not think so, if the wrap is a wide strap and the pressure on the sail/furler is spread over the wrap and not concentrated so that it can bend or collapse the furler extension. The mast is is fine.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
... concentrated so that it can bend or collapse the furler extension. The mast is is fine.
That is what keeps me from putting a hammock on my furler...
I would be worried about kinking my extrusion.

As you said, if the strap around the furler spread the load out some, it may be ok.

What about securing one end on the mast, and the other end at the end of the boom? Assuming you have a topping lift, I would think that would work (if the boom was long enough).

To the OP, I think 2 just doubles the weight and concern about damaging the furler extrusion.

But I am not a mechanical contractor engineer and I have no idea what I am talking about ;-)

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What about securing one end on the mast, and the other end at the end of the boom? Assuming you have a topping lift, I would think that would work (if the boom was long enough).
Yes that also sounds like a good idea until your resting comfortably, and you start to doze off. Someone on the boat thinks you are enjoying this relaxed state too much and they swing the boom out over the water. :yikes:

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I wouldn't do that on a MacGregor 26.
Friend of mine hangs a couple of lounge chairs off his jib pole suspended between the forestay and mast.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
I wouldn't do it. Pick another location. The furler tube are strong but the joints are easily damaged