Our 2003 C310!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Dumb question, can I leave shore power (AC) connected and start and run the motor as long as I shut the battery charger off? Wanting to do some investigation but really like having air conditioner on while working.
I’m not sure there’s any reason to even shut the charger off when you’re running the motor. I never do. Of course, no need for AC here on the West Coast!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks, for the feedback. I also pulled the speed transducer, ya the water was pretty exciting! Plug in hand and seemed to seal it up while I cleaned the wheel, which seemed fine. Maybe the hull needs to be cleaned so I'll try that next time out.
20190530_142615.jpg
I also found this box with a wire that seems to lead to the compression post and lead aft. No info or anything on it. Any ideas, is this for the mast instruments?

20190530_142645.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
I also found this box with a wire that seems to lead to the compression post and lead aft. No info or anything on it. Any ideas, is this for the mast instruments?
Maybe a splice box for the wind unit, assuming it was replaced at some point. I'd open it up to see what's inside, but that's my nature-taking things apart.

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks, for the feedback. I also pulled the speed transducer, ya the water was pretty exciting! Plug in hand and seemed to seal it up while I cleaned the wheel, which seemed fine. Maybe the hull needs to be cleaned so I'll try that next time out.
In salt water there are often little critters that like to hide in the depths of the sensor. A quick dip in fresh water makes them leave, at least for a while. Not sure if the same thing happens in fresh water...

Was it a real fountain of water? If so then the sealing flap may be AWOL. Something to think about replacing when the boat is next hauled out. If you only got a quart or less then no big deal, especially since it's fresh!

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Was it a real fountain of water? If so then the sealing flap may be AWOL.
I have found that my flap is only about 50% effective - the force of the water seems to open and close it so I get a pulsating fountain when I pull the speedo, at least until I can get the plug in place.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
It wasn't bad, I read a bunch, knew what to expect, told my slip neighbor if he heard loud yelling to come running with a hand pump:) It was up a bit but went down as soon as the sensor was all the way out. I noticed the sensor had been replaced and that it was spliced to the original wire. I pulled the tape off and check the connections, not issues or corrosion so I wrapped up and made sure to put the bundle forward and high so if there was a leak it would stay dry if the bilge pump could handle it.

The good thing with spraying fresh water in these bilge areas as I used my towel to mop up and clean out the dust and dirt in them.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ

John,
Last week I finished installing all my new instruments and everything worked but the wind transducer. I remembered seeing a similar box in the forward area of my bilge but at the time a PO mod over half the bilge cover prevented me from getting to it.
Now I had the motivation to undo the PO mod and get to the box. It was a wiring junction box for the wind transducer cable and the wires were corroded. I used an Airmar barrel connector and the wind data came to life.
Here's a photo of the box and what was inside. (excuse the dirty bilge, that's next on my list)
JB 1.jpeg JB 2.jpeg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Cool, find, I'll have to open it next time out to see what I have. Seems a bad idea in this potentially damp space, that said my only water source in my bilge is AC condensation and the weird occasional water in the after section from the fridge which I think builds up condensation when off and if I forget to drain it overflows into the bilge. Just a theory right now as that seems to be the direction the water comes from, it isn't consistent, but the water is cold and very clean.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Since this is an area of issue with the old short lines I went long enough for them to reach the helm. Will see how it works out in practice.
Going long is never a problem. While riding on @Hayden Watson 's boat I got to experience his lines. He chose to make them a continuous loop. Worked well when used at the companionway. I think he has used them sailing solo without complaint. You could splice them into a loop and still keep the red/green colors.

Having extra is never a problem on my boat. I always find a use for the extra bits.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Going long is never a problem. While riding on @Hayden Watson 's boat I got to experience his lines. He chose to make them a continuous loop. Worked well when used at the companionway. I think he has used them sailing solo without complaint. You could splice them into a loop and still keep the red/green colors.

Having extra is never a problem on my boat. I always find a use for the extra bits.
My traveler line is a continuous line for both sides that is long enough to loop over the steering pedestal. This way, I can reach it from the helm to both trim and ease. Makes single handing much easier.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Fun early Father's Day sail. Motor out found a nice place to anchor and just swim around. We sailed back and had a great time. I paided for the Navioncs for my extra old phone and it worked great for our sailing area. Ignore our sail trim, it needs work for sure and to keep everyone happy just flew the head sail.
FB_IMG_1560650050889.jpg FB_IMG_1560650122838.jpg FB_IMG_1560650133138.jpg FB_IMG_1560650145051.jpg FB_IMG_1560650160468.jpg

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
and to keep everyone happy just flew the head sail.
I have found that flying just the genny works best with guests aboard. Too much going on in the cockpit to be handling the mainsail lines, etc.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
When the engine is running and If you are hooked up to AC and the AC switch is on, turn off battery charger.
In fact do not run engine while AC is on.... ie you will see no reading on tachometer. The tach is reading off generator.

paulj
:hook2:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm surprised at how well the 310 does with just the 135. Our wind was all over the place from 5 - 18. It is just a lot easier for me to keep her a but slower and maintain good control. Our tacks and jibs are improving so that is something.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Fun early Father's Day sail. Motor out found a nice place to anchor and just swim around. We sailed back and had a great time. I paided for the Navioncs for my extra old phone and it worked great for our sailing area. Ignore our sail trim, it needs work for sure and to keep everyone happy just flew the head sail.
John, Happy Fathers Day. You'll find, if you haven't already, that just the jib works pretty well going upwind, too. Looks like you made the right decision. :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Agree, we went from broad reach to close haul pretty easy. Wind was pushing 10-15 knts and we made a nice 4-5 knts as a recall. I really like the extra speed and comfort of the 310 for sure. It has been a great upgrade for us for sure.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
When the engine is running and If you are hooked up to AC and the AC switch is on, turn off battery charger.
In fact do not run engine while AC is on.... ie you will see no reading on tachometer. The tach is reading off generator.

paulj
:hook2:
Very true. This applies to solar charging also. My tach kept going to zero one day as I was motorsailing on a bright, sunny day. When I docked, I mentioned to the gentleman who had caught my lines that I thought my alternator had failed. He noticed my solar panels and pointed out that if the batteries were fully charged, the alternator would shut down. Duh. So now I run the cabin fans to keep a load on the batteries under those conditions.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for the tips, I'll shut the charger down for sure at the AC panel. I noticed this past weekend that the output was between 12-13 on the gauge at the helm station. I thought this was low, but given the batteries sit on shore power all week and we really only run radio, instruments and VHF while out for few hours I guess I'm not really taxing my battery bank.

I did learn that the autopilot, engage lever behind the wheel, or what ever that is called, can be left half way between on and off and it makes a little bit of drag on the wheel. I noticed this drag was just enough that I could move briefly away to a jib line and it would still hold course. I assume this drag is ok and not damaging anything by using it this way, thoughts?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks for the tips, I'll shut the charger down for sure at the AC panel. I noticed this past weekend that the output was between 12-13 on the gauge at the helm station. I thought this was low, but given the batteries sit on shore power all week and we really only run radio, instruments and VHF while out for few hours I guess I'm not really taxing my battery bank.

I did learn that the autopilot, engage lever behind the wheel, or what ever that is called, can be left half way between on and off and it makes a little bit of drag on the wheel. I noticed this drag was just enough that I could move briefly away to a jib line and it would still hold course. I assume this drag is ok and not damaging anything by using it this way, thoughts?
Much better to just adjust the wheel brake. It is the round knob above the autopilot lever, under the cup holders.