1984 Hunter 31 concern

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Hunter 33 - Cherubini Port Clinton, OH
I went and looked at a Hunter 31 today and for the most part - everything looks to be in serviceable condition and well cared for.

But I did come across one thing that has me scratching my head.

Both chainplate tie-rods. I was able to wiggle them at the bottom - both fore and aft.

I'm not sure how this is set up. So I was hoping for a little assistance. I'm pretty sure something is a miss - but the owner mentioned that they stiffen up when the mast is stepped.

I'm going to go back out and have another look. But if it should turn out to be the worst scenario - what sort of work is it to repair the anchor itself?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Rabe, Figure about $5-6k to cut out, remove and replace angle iron anchor plates to resecure rods into the angle iron if you have a yard do it. After seeing the repair and if ur handy with fiberglass and have access to a machine shop service for the fab work, then this is doable on your ken. Reason I know is because I lost a mast due to failure of the rod to angle iron connection when underway sailing in moderate/heavy conditions and had to do these repairs. Currently traveling and not able to send detailed info Tuesday. PM me if ur interested in the repair. Here is a link to the repairs I posted to the hunter downloads under owner resources tab in this forum
https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=25&aid=100142&mn=31_83-87

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
IF there is no tension on the shrouds, the angle iron anchor on some boats can move. The question is the condition of the angle iron and is it moving when the bottom end of the tie rod moves.. This needs to be inspected carefully because as Jerry notes if the iron is corroded, especially where the nut is welded on the underside, the repair is a big one. Check out this diagram on the tie rod assembly and what you are looking at.. The angle iron stuff is bottom left. I know some boats did not have the two small bolts on the ends of the angle iron so the iron (and the end of the tie rod) could move a little when the shrouds are unloaded.. Very carefully inspect !
upload_2019-6-15_23-19-36.png

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Thank you for the replies. I went back out there today to get another look. The corrosion on the anchor seems to be minimal. The tierod is affixed securely, but the anchor does indeed slide forward and aft, on both sides port and starboard.

Here's a video Starboard Chainplate Tierod to Anchor

Is it more likely that the carriage bolts, at each end of the anchor, are loose or missing? Or is it more likely that this is 'normal'?

Here's a 10 minute walk-through of the sailboat.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have an ‘83 H31, that I have throughly enjoyed. What you show looks good. I would check the compression post, there are no obvious signs of distress, but that is a known flaw in this boat. Then engine is the fresh water cooled version, but it looks clean. Have you heard it run? Of course the standing rigging and sails are what makes a sail boat go. What’s the deal with the mast, sails and rigging? You have original ports which may eventually need to be changed. Mine came with a orgio two burner gimbled alcohol stove. Not sure how the hot plate looking thing would work at anchor. But she looks good and well cared for. Keep us posted!

Rabe

May 15, 2019
What you show looks good.
Whew! I tend to over think things. I'm glad the chainplate anchor is okay.

I would check the compression post, there are no obvious signs of distress, but that is a known flaw in this boat.
I did look at the post. There's a bit of it in the second video. There is a little bit of compression but a lot less than I anticipated. I will do the mod - but I don't think I'll consider it in any offer. It is a mod after all.

Then engine is the fresh water cooled version, but it looks clean. Have you heard it run?
No, I have not. I'm going to put a contingency in my offer concerning the engine.

What’s the deal with the mast, sails and rigging?
I was able to look at the sails yesterday. They were sent to a sail shop last year and 'refreshed'. The stitching looks good, they are crisp, and no tears.

The mast (with rigging) and boom is stored in another area of the yard. I got a decent look. Mast & boom looks great. No pitting or other corrosion. The running rigging is new as of last year and looks okay. The standing rigging, no meat hooks, kinks or discoloration from rust. They look just like my rigging I replaced on the Venture this year.

You have original ports which may eventually need to be changed.
Yeah they have seen better days. However, here in Northern Ohio we are getting record rains and Lake Erie is reaching record levels. Yesterday was pretty wet... In the middle of a down pour I just could not find any water getting in the boat. I view that as a good omen - and the ports are going to stay a while.

Mine came with a orgio two burner gimbled alcohol stove. Not sure how the hot plate looking thing would work at anchor.
That hot plate has to go. Frankly, this is the extent of my displeasure with this boat.

But she looks good and well cared for.
Definitely. I'm surprised at the shape.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Video of the hull outside.

Here are some pictures from today.

1. Bilge - notice the shine. There's a diesel smell.
IMG_20190616_143002.jpg

2. Mast step
IMG_20190616_144324.jpg

3. Prop
IMG_20190616_144829.jpg

4. Shaft
IMG_20190616_144834.jpg

5. Foreward Keel Bolts
IMG_20190616_143258.jpg

6. Aft Keel Bolts
IMG_20190616_142729.jpg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I looked at those keel bolts and thought "they've been painted". Then I remembered that some boats sail in fresh water. Doh!

Nov 6, 2006
Looks pretty good .. Stove as you note is a problem.. The compression post beam is dented .. beginnings of failure.. looking at the mast step, it looks as if the tube that the wiring runs through is not sealed and may be too short, allowing any water pooled in the step to seep into the cross beam which decays the wood inside and leads to the beam crushing.. an extension on the wiring tube and fixing the wood inside the fiberglass cross beam are both going to have to be done.. The post itself looks OK (inside will be obvious when removed to access the beam) but the beam definitely is in early stages of being crushed. The repair is not too bad of a job, (not a trivial one either) especially with the mast down..

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
I did look at the post. There's a bit of it in the second video. There is a little bit of compression but a lot less than I anticipated. I will do the mod - but I don't think I'll consider it in any offer. It is a mod after all
The actual compression post is inside the pretty wood post outside the head . The only way to see the actual compression post is to remove the linoleum covered bulkhead in the head. Or pop the post out as in this owner mod post https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=25&aid=7376&mn=31_83-87. I wouldn’t sweat that too much. BTW I didn’t see any zincs on then prop shaft. I carry two, there but I’ve not sailed on freshwater so I don’t know how important that is there.

Like any purchase it’s all about the Benjamins. Good luck!

Nov 6, 2006
HMT2.. What did you put in the hole under the mast to take the compression load down to the new post?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
HMT2.. What did you put in the hole under the mast to take the compression load down to the new post?
Kloudie1,
I have not replaced my compression post. It is in pristine condition. That was a link from another poster under the owner modifications tab. Sorry for the confusion.

Nov 6, 2006
Thanks ! Just curious .. on my 34 (same setup/problem) I used a big chunk of carved aluminum.. not an easy thing to do but is pretty solid. A very hard wood would probably be ok once treated..

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Boat looks good. I’m still concerned on the movement of those anchor plates and would have a professional rigger inspect (the person/company that will install mast and standing rigging). Failures at this point are likely not covered by insurance (depending on exclusions in your policy). Also for the mast step/plate where mast head wiring is, there should be a stub up of pvc tubing. This needs to be sealed well to prevent damage to compression post as Kloudie stated while also allowing for drainage around limber holes.

Rabe

May 15, 2019
Thanks everyone! This is all great information. You've made it so I can make an informed decision. I'll let you all know how it goes.