What do you say to a neighboring MY running his engine for hours?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm getting gassed out by a 35 foot motor boat two slips to my starboard who started idling his dual gasoline inboard engines over an hour ago. He is literally gassing me out of my cockpit. I can't breathe.

There is just a tiny tad of breeze, so the fumes, smoke and smell are overwhelming.

What do you say to him? First time I've been subjected to this kind of abuse.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
"Would you please shut down your engines? The exhaust is making me ill!"

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Knock, Knock,
Hi neighbor, just wondering how long you’ll be running your engines? I’m sure your not aware that with no breeze the fumes are making my boat unbearable.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As I was going over to make new friends, the two gentlemen were coming off their boat and down the dock. I asked if they were having any problems, and got an earful: New to them boat, new diesel engine just being broken in (they claim the smoke), but they had to start the engine because the inverter running their AC fridge off the batteries connected to a really old dumb charger kept beeping and when they plugged in their starter kept running because their ignition switch died.

They said the guy who installed their engine said they needed a lot of work on their electrical system.

I gave them my email address, told them to never plug their batteries into that charger and would send them links.

Ha - no beer involved. :)

BTW, engine now off.

Phew.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

They all worked. :)

Many, many thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He can’t call the Marines, he has moved to Canada. He has to call the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
467E60C4-2D8A-46E0-B6EA-5485D4799A20.jpeg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very nice.
Never know when someone is being obnoxious or just doesn’t know better. In this case sounds like they were just plain newbies who were frustrated. In the end they will probably be buying you the beer:beer:

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
He can’t call the Marines, he has moved to Canada. He has to call the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
View attachment 165992
Call Sargent Preston of the Northwest Mounted Police......I think that was the correct name of the Saturday morning program back in the day. I can't remember the name of his lead dog. The good guys always won and there was no blood!

Glad the situation was amicably resolved. "Kinder, gentler...…" or "Put a little love...…"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
"no horses allowed on the docks." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You obviously have never seen the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in action. They scoff at docks.
They "Don't need no scooper rules!":stir:

They dive into Yukon rivers with their horses in pursuit of their man... They always get their man... and the ladies like them too.
IMG_0084-2-e1451701928345.jpg