Buying a 40 year old C&C 38

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
the op asked about how to close. i think he got his answer. as to if this would make a good cruiser. great choice if you trust these guys for advice.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/reviews/boatreview/C_C_Landfall_38-1156-1.html
Good point. But I interpreted his 1979 C&C 38 as the 38-2 by the year and Atomic 4 engine. The Landfall 38 has the same hull although heavier, but shorter rig, Diesel engine, and more comfortable interior, etc. This would be excellent reading material for our OP.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How should I go about the closing process? Should I just hand the marina a check for the full offer price with the "contingent upon survey" statement? Do I need to draw up some kind of contract for the contingency? Any advice or anecdote from similar experience would be very helpful.
While others have opined on your plan, only a few answered your question.

It is standard practice and a good idea to have a written offer. Include in the offer the conditions of the sale and the conditions under which you will not be obligated to follow through on the deal. A refundable deposit of about 10% should be paid when the offer is made. Both parties sign the offer.

Minimal conditions should include:
The seller provides a clear title and indicates the boat is free of any liens.
Survey results are acceptable to the buyer.
A sea trial to ensure the engine and all systems operate. I don't think it is necessary to actually sail the boat, just put it in the water, run the engine awhile, check for leaks etc.

Sometimes there is a holdback clause in the purchase offer to cover repairs to the engine or unforeseen damage after the sale is complete. The seller is usually anxious to get the holdback, so there will be pressure to get the boat in the water.

Once the survey is back and any issues are addressed, a bill of sale is signed and money exchanged. States differ in how they collect sales tax. In NY if the boat is sold through a broker, the broker is required to collect the sales tax. However it is collected, it will have to be paid in order to register the boat.

As for your plans, be prepared to spend more than you planned and for jobs to take longer than you think. Keep a good supply of band aides and ibuprofen on hand. http://www.sv-secondstar.net/blog/second-star/16-there-ought-to-be-a-law

A couple Youtube channels to watch are Sailing Uma and White Spot Pirates, both channels document the trials and tribulations of a plan such as yours as well as the joys and successes.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
KG,
Appreciate an attempt to get the thread back 'on course' and I was following some earlier comments off into a side channel. :)
Posting too often: sign of a (mostly) armchair sailor.
It seems appropriate - well, to me anyway- to address the general attitude that a given boat, like the C&C 38, might not be 'best' for the OP's needs. Jumping in, with eyes open, is usually a good choice.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like some of your points @FastOlson but not all of them. Sure we like our own boats, at least some do. But the OP asked opinion. Is a 40 year old C&C38 a good boat for an "very adventurous and handy" plus "New to sailing. Hoping to cruise in the next 3 years" couple to buy for cruising in the Caribbean.

As KG has suggested, maybe if it is in the Caribbean already and has been outfitted by an owner for that purpose. But that is not the case with the suggested offer price of $8K on a boat owned by the Marina Yard due to abandonment with a questionable ATOMIC4 gas inboard and a 20kg Rocna anchor in Connecticut.

There are a lot of unforeseen hurdles in front of this person that he/she does not even know to ask about. I hope we would find ways to encourage their idea for adventure, yet sprinkle a few of the landmines to avoid.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that boat with a couple of hand held GPS's, a depth sounder, and a marine radio and i could sail it anywhere in the world that has ten feet of water or more.
is it my first choice? no. is it a good solid choice to cruise? sure. if you prefer these robot boats that you just ride along on then it will cost more.
get some hippi girls to drive and off you go. an auto pilot never laughs at your jokes.
just saying :)

May 25, 2012
C&C boats were well built. IOR design has never been my favorite. down wind in a big blow can get exciting for sure. i vote to go for it. as i sail my old alden that can go anywhere and is 100% ready even tho it's very old. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The OP gave us a plan to achieve a goal (cruise the Caribbean). Buying the C&C was one potential step in that plan. Advice was effectively asked on the whole plan; otherwise why would we get the whole plan? Nothing wrong with the goal. It’s just that the plan may need revision. That’s all.

May 25, 2012
i practice what i preach. :) last summer the local visitor's bureau made this. the gal driving the catalina was a newbee in my sailing class 10 years ago.
no auto pilot needed. the first third of the video is of day sailing on aeolus

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The OP gave us a plan to achieve a goal (cruise the Caribbean). Buying the C&C was one potential step in that plan. Advice was effectively asked on the whole plan; otherwise why would we get the whole plan? Nothing wrong with the goal. It’s just that the plan may need revision. That’s all.
Right on.
Did not some general once state that "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy" or something perceptive like that?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
And the Germans in WW2 said it was pointless to study captured American war plans because we never followed them anyway.