Best place to sell my boat?

Jun 13, 2019
Hunter 420 Passage Center Cockpit Fort Lauderdale
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I've been trying to sell my Hunter for a while, but can't seem to settle on a site to do it. BoatTrader and Boats(dot com) aren't really meshing well with me, and Facebook and Craigslist are, uh, not for me. Sell-A-Boat is the only site that has really gelled with me. Are there any other recommendations? Thanks!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Put it on here, and then get over your aversion to Craigslist. You'll know in two days if you priced it right, and if you put a disclaimer in it warning off the scammers and the folks wanting a free ride, most of your calls will be worth taking. Put in the ad that you don't accept texts.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Odds are that you'll sell to someone in your state, so why not try more local media? Alternatively, get a broker ($$$) and push it on Yachtworld. If you were in the market for a 42 foot sailboat in South Florida, where would you look?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
SBO, Yachtworld and SailingTexas. Talk to a broker and see what they say as well. A phone call can't hurt

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have bought and sold on both craigs list and eBay.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What are lookers saying? Something need to be fixed before it will sell? Priced competitively? We all have our personal perceptions of our boat's value.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
To get a value idea. Check the insurance valuation on BoatUS. It’s free.

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
I would advertise your boat everywhere and anywhere you can. I would definitely not eliminate Craigslist. That is where I found my boat. My experience is Craigslist had the newest boat listings. Other sites often had listings that were sometimes years old.

Pictures sell the boat. Clean the boat. Make all the repairs you can, and if there is something broken or missing, disclose it. Don't overprice. Nobody has the sentimental attachment to your boat that you do, and it doesn't really matter how much money you've spent repairing and equipping your boat. Your boat is worth what it's worth, not what you have in it.

You're better off listing at a lower price and staying firm that listing too high and not showing the boat to anyone. Advertise a day and time you will be showing the boat, kind of like an open house. Keep your ads up to date.

Either do all that, or get a broker to do it for you.