Loose stringer in bilge area

Jun 9, 2019
Catalina 25 Pepin, WI
? first owner put that in because they didn't like the way the floor felt when they steeped on that spot ?
I think this is the winner. It's not on the other side, and was very loosely tabbed in. There's some flex in the floor when you walk on that area.
I looked at an 85 Catalina 25 with the same layout and there was no board there.

Attachments

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
If it's not on the other side, then it's very unlikely that it is structural for the keel support. Keel forces are symmetrical on each tack. There's no reason to make the starboard side stronger than the port. Those two center longitudinal stringers are pretty beefy - anchored at each end by crosspieces. It's only a 25ft boat. I also go with the saggy sole theory - might have squeaked every-time someone stepped there at night to go to the head. Certainly have a survey and show it to the surveyor for a 2nd opinion but I don't think this is a reason to not buy the boat.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'd concur with @CarlN. Do check all the tabbing and bulkhead connections that you can find to make certain that there are no cracks.