Straight Shot

Feb 11, 2017
For making a 39 mile trip in a 25 foot sailboat, I would probably plan to average around 4 to 4.5 miles per hour. This should give you decent guestimate of the overall time for planning (looks like between 8 to 10 hours). Not sure how big your mother is, but in my experience sailing that area I tend to motor a lot more than I plan (unfortunately, I end up motoring 60% when traveling to a specific destination).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the PNW and surely they exaggerate about the rain!
Having recently returned from our Belize sailing experience, I can understand your appeal of the balmy waters and constant sunshine. But when the heat index crossed 100, I found myself longing for a bit of Northwest BC breeze. I must say, I have never had the boat attacked by termites sailing up here in the PacificNW.

I suspect all of this is acquired tastes.

Come on up here @capta . You do not have to leave your sunny south during our winter. We know the that the Carib shuts down from June to November. Certainly the folks in the Belize waters.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The only virtue I’ve ever heard extolled of Belize, at least the only one I remember, is that it is a fantastic place for diving on SCUBA. From several folks I’ve independently heard that. But what makes it so may all be relative to what knows and has personally experienced. Nevertheless, I’ve never heard it touted as a great sailor’s destination, that I recall.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
or in the PNW and surely they exaggerate about the rain!
This is true. My whole time there we only had some light drizzle and fog for a couple of hours near Seattle. :wink:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
This is true. My whole time there we only had some light drizzle and fog for a couple of hours near Seattle. :wink:
Waiting in the airport for a flight elsewhere? lol

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Not sure how big your mother is, but in my experience sailing that area I tend to motor a lot more than I plan....
Don't ya love spell check.....
Cheers
dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Have the kids been putting too much soap in the washer?
Yes. Those darn kids. A group of Canadian hooligans, hanging around the boat blowing soap bubbles near our boat. At first we thought it was to celebrate Ward’s visit.