Flushing toilets with fresh water

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I forgot about venting. I'll have to work that out. I'm not exactly sure how these collapsibles are supposed to work without a vent. They must have something that vents.
Although waste and fuel tanks must be vented, it's ok to use an unvented bladder for water.
I followed your Amazon link to check out the tank...it's actually only meant as water supply when dry camping, not for installation on a boat that heels, rocks and rolls. So when you install it, make sure it can't move (hard to do on a sailboat) or it's on a material that can't abrade it. It does come with fittings already installed...that's a plus. However a leaky fitting was one of the complaints, so keep a close eye on 'em and make sure not put any stress on the discharge fitting when you connect the toilet intake line (which will almost certainly require an adapter). I read the reviews-- ALL of which seem to be for only the 60 gal model...they're mixed...durability didn't seem to be one of its best features. I suggest you read 'em--ALL of 'em, 5 star down to 1 star...people were pretty specific about what they like and don't like about it.
Please let us know how you like it after you've had a chance to get "up close and personal" with it long enough to know whether it turned out to be a good buy or not.

As Scotty on Star Trek always used to say " I cannae change the laws of physics".
Nope, we can't. But you'd be amazed at the number of boat owners who've come to me to save 'em from the results of their not having even a nodding acquaintance with the laws of physics!
--Peggie

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
However a leaky fitting was one of the complaints, so keep a close eye on 'em and make sure not put any stress on the discharge fitting when you connect the toilet intake line (which will almost certainly require an adapter). I read the reviews-- ALL of which seem to be for only the 60 gal model...they're mixed...durability didn't seem to be one of its best features. I suggest you read 'em--ALL of 'em, 5 star down to 1 star...people were pretty specific about what they like and don't like about it.
Well, one guy said it held up just fine when he crash landed on the moon! That had me sold!;);) The good thing is that it's not a critical item. It's worth the experiment, I think.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What’s the worst that can happen? 15 gallons of water in the bilge?
I agree with both of you 100%...he'd also be out $100, but dinner for two in an upscale restaurant can cost that much and isn't likely to result in a great story! And in case neither of you noticed, I didn't try to talk Scott out of it, only recommended he read reviews to learn what weaknesses it has and how to avoid 'em. But I do want to know who claims to have crashed landed on the moon...I thought I'd read ALL the reviews, but I obviously missed that one!
--Peggie

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Maybe it was a crash landing on Mars....since they are now the same thing.....:poke:
Cheers
dj

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I just had to look it up. here is the five star review.

Great tank at a great price
By turbocook on April 11, 2014 I have purchased three of these now and they work great. I have been building a space exploration pod and I use these to store and transport water during missions. They are easy to store with no water in them because they fold up. They are pretty tough, I once had to crash land on the moon and the two that had water in them did not burst during impact, which was a big plus. Unfortunately, they are not oil resistant. I kept one near the engine and it got oil all over it. I tried to clean it but it did not work. All in all especially for the price this is a great way to store fresh water and transport it if you have a little transfer pump. see less

This is why I put so much store in Amazon reviews.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
For $100 bucks I think it is a great experiment and worth it to avoid using the bay water. We are at the mouth of a creek that feeds canals lined by homes and most have PBs. Our slip water can be pretty funky compared to out in the bay.

Besides, Scott will probably have a new boat before that flex tank wears out.:biggrin:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I didn't know about this either. Did @Ward H crash into me during a docking maneuver? :yikes: Perhaps Ward is buying me a new boat! :cool: