Straight Shot

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Dear Fellow Sailors:

I want to travel in my region from Plymouth Harbor, Plymouth, MA to Gloucester Harbor, Gloucester, MA. It's nearly a straight shot of approximately 39 nautical miles albeit about 25 off shore at the midway point. I'm sailing a coastal cruiser (25' Hunter). I may sound a bit chicken but wondering if I should hug the shore. It would take me a great deal longer but would be safer in the event of a squall or boat issue. The vessel has a lead keel and is in good working order so i don't believe this trip is a great stretch. Opinions and wisdom appreciated, thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If, as you say, the boat is in sound condition, then the real question is are you up to the experience?

Put on PDF’s. Choose a good weather window. Have a sail plan and share it with someone on shore. Build into your route alternative ports in case the weather turns sour. Go off and embrace the experience.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As has been mentioned, picking a 10-12 hour weather window is pretty easy with today's forecasting abilities. Short term forecasts tend to be pretty accurate, so weather need not be a major concern.

Hugging the shore will add considerably to the trip, instead of 10 hours, it will be more like 12-14 hours. Also, as you go near the shore in Boston, expect to pick up more boat traffic.

An alternative may be to sail North to near Cohasset and then to Marblehead. From Marblehead sail to Gloucester. This will add a little to the trip and will keep you closer to the shore but avoid the waters near Boston.

Be sure to have enough fuel to motor the whole way. And enough liquid and food to sustain you for the trip.

The first big adventure is always a little anxiety provoking, it gets easier with time and experience. People have crossed oceans in 8 foot boats.

Enjoy the voyage.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've made the leg in and out of Gloucester to the Cape Cod Canal several times, last season in fact (Scituate to Gloucester). Like everyone said, you can get an accurate weather forecast a few days in advance that will assure you ample time and weather that works. Play it conservatively and ask more experienced sailing friends to give you their opinion if you're not sure.

With the prevailing winds you can often find a good sailing wind for the leg to Gloucester from Plymouth. Not so easy to find that good wind returning. Go with a fair wind but don't be tempted by too much Southerly wind. I find the prevailing wind in Mass. Bay tends to hit the high forecast zones, quite often.

You'll just as likely find a block of little to no wind in which you'll power the leg.

If you have the time, split it up and try to sail more of it. Gloucester is a fun place and the harbor is fantastic place to anchor (or take a mooring) for the night.

819px-Gloucester_MA_-_Fisherman's_Memorial.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Dear Fellow Sailors:

I want to travel in my region from Plymouth Harbor, Plymouth, MA to Gloucester Harbor, Gloucester, MA. It's nearly a straight shot of approximately 39 nautical miles albeit about 25 off shore at the midway point. I'm sailing a coastal cruiser (25' Hunter). I may sound a bit chicken but wondering if I should hug the shore. It would take me a great deal longer but would be safer in the event of a squall or boat issue. The vessel has a lead keel and is in good working order so i don't believe this trip is a great stretch. Opinions and wisdom appreciated, thanks!
You could also break the trip up into 1 overnight at Scituate Harbor. The Scituate Yacht Club is very hospitable with moorings and launch service. Restaurants and shopping a short walk from the club.

Feb 11, 2017
You could also pick up a mooring by George's Islsnd in Boston Harbor. It is unclear if you are under time constraints, but why push it when there are so many options along the way

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
As was said..... go with your gut but realize that your boat is very capable of the single leg trip off shore and as was mentioned weather is pretty accurate for one day shots.... but again your boat can handle it. And although I have never sailed those waters, off shore give you less to look out for in regards to boat traffic as well as lobster pots..... If it’s your first trip and you are nervous with your ability, like was also said break the trip up into short legs and take a couple days and enjoy yourself..... you will gain much confidence either way.

Have fun!

Greg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Dear Fellow Sailors:

What is your expected point of sail, at least majority? We have a coastal configuration similar. Long Beach to Paradise Cove. You’re two or three miles from shore until crossing Santa Monica Bay. If you stay on the rhumb line it puts you 25 n.mi. from shore at the mid-point. It’s way out the of way to cruise the coast there. Good for power boaters maybe. The first time was in my Pearson 30, motoring nearly all the time as wind was contrary or nil.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What is your expected point of sail, at least majority? We have a coastal configuration similar. Long Beach to Paradise Cove. You’re two or three miles from shore until crossing Santa Monica Bay. If you stay on the rhumb line it puts you 25 n.mi. from shore at the mid-point. It’s way out the of way to cruise the coast there. Good for power boaters maybe. The first time was in my Pearson 30, motoring nearly all the time as wind was contrary or nil.
What ever you decide, consider whether you will find yourself arriving to a new harbor/destination near or after dark as part of the puzzle. Also, wind from the west will make it harder to alter to a “plan B” (alternative) course directly toward shore. Maybe plan to reach on a SE wind if available?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you pick your forecast the trip north is a piece of cake in the prevailing SW winds of settled summer weather. If you hug the Cape and Stellwagon Bank you might spot whales too. That would be VERY exciting!
As others have noted - your boat is very capable. Only you can decide what you’re comfortable with, but if your boat is well maintained my only caution would be: Don’t let a schedule alter your judgement. Go in settled weather.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It sounds like a great sail. As others have pointed out, it's usually the sailor that is the determining factor. Weather is reasonably predictable within 48 hours, but be prepared for those few times when it is wrong.
You seem like you would like to feel comfortable with a little off-shore sailing, at some point. A trip like this is a good one to start with. I wouldn't attempt serious off-shore sailing without a radio. There should be plenty of traffic in that area so even a hand-held is likely to be able to call for help. You may even have cell signal for much of the sail.
Plan and study your route, know things like cell tower coverage and have a working flare gun. Learn the currents and tide schedule, ferry routes and times and make sure you've posted your itinerary and expected route with someone.
Don't forget to post pictures here for us to enjoy afterwards.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Plymouth Sailor if you are still in a quandary you can always send us a PM out here on the West Coast.

Do what @Ward H did and join us for one of our PacificNW sailings.
126D22CD-9EC9-401A-A0FA-3C32EAE66634.jpeg

That’s Ward in blue at the helm. We are crossing the Georgia Strait, wind 15-20, swell 5-8 ft, aboard Mahalo. He took a real leap of faith.

Just having some SBO sailing fun in the PacificNW.

Jun 14, 2010
P-Town is a fun summer place however a bit out of the way 25 miles from Plymouth, a leg I would like to do sometime.
Been into Plymouth and P-town a few times. Plymouth is a very nice place once you get a block away from the waterfront tourist honkytonk stuff.
The first time was 2011 we stopped on the way to P-town. Some pictures:

It's a long way in and out of Plymouth, through the channel to open/deep water, 3 or 4NM after checking my chart.

But the scenery surrounding the harbor is very pretty. I think it's like Cape Cod on the mainland. :)

plymouth.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Another image showing our track in from the CCC (red line) and out (red line highlighted in blue). Sorry for the thread drift :) reminiscing. Dave Evans might notice that I annotated the chart the area he used for an anchorage, which he posted about long ago.
Plymouth out.JPG

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
@Plymouth Sailor if you are still in a quandary you can always send us a PM out here on the West Coast.

Do what @Ward H did and join us for one of our PacificNW sailings.
View attachment 165900
That’s Ward in blue at the helm. We are crossing the Georgia Strait, wind 15-20, swell 5-8 ft, aboard Mahalo. He took a real leap of faith.

Just having some SBO sailing fun in the PacificNW.
I don't know why, but I kinda started this thread at the bottom and jumped around a bit and it got me thinking (again) perhaps sailing up north for a while wouldn't be so bad. Nice vistas around Cape Cod and north, or in the PNW and surely they exaggerate about the rain!
And then some killjoy like you comes along and posts a pic like this
View attachment 165900
and the dream goes poof!
grrrrr. lol