Hunter 49 Table Drop

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
Okay, so quick question to the Hunter 49 owners out there that have dropped their salon table to make an extra bed. As a new 49 owner (official today), I'm trying to work thru sleeping spots for all my kids and tried dropping the table today. Let's leave it at - interesting.

Didn't realize that the table had(has) an expandable/removable leaf in it. While dropping the table saw/found a set of short "legs" for the table that seemed to be little to no help. My prior Legend 35.5 was a no-brainer for turning that table into a bunk.

Would appreciate any insight/guidance/advice with regards to the table conversion process.
Thanks in advance. (And a small word of warning - as a new 49 owner, decent chance I have about 3-4 questions already queued up behind this one).

T J

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I've dropped the table on many occasions. Never needed or used the short legs that that you can buy. Never had any issues. The table is very heavy so two people to drop is recommended

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I've dropped the table on many occasions. Never needed or used the short legs that that you can buy. Never had any issues. The table is very heavy so two people to drop is recommended
I found 2 things on my 49
Firstly, that the table did not line up with the support molding. Therefore, if you tried to rest the table on the molding, it would crash to the floor
Next,
My short pipes don’t line up with the floor mounts. This was a problem at Hunter, that the mounts were placed incorrectly to make it into a bed.
They gave me a drawing of where I had to move them to.
Other thought
Did you try spinning your table 180 degrees?

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
You need to lift the table off the table legs. Be careful as the legs will go bouncing all over the place as they come out of the floor and fall out of the table. Move the long table legs and the seat cushions out of the way and set the table down on the lip boards and seat edge it fits sort of sort of not but it comes to a rest on the lip boards and the seat edge in a crooked sort of fashion.The table is heavy so plan on two people as mentioned above. No it isn't by any means and elegant solution but it works. As for short legs as noted by others some use them and find they don't line up and others ignore them and never have issues. I bought some plastic 4 inch pvc pipe and cut it to fit between the floor and the bottom of the table ignoring the leg mounting brackets so no lining up needed. As I see it I get additional support under the table and I don't have to worry about lining anything up because my pvc legs can go anywhere.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
You need to lift the table off the table legs. Be careful as the legs will go bouncing all over the place as they come out of the floor and fall out of the table. Move the long table legs and the seat cushions out of the way and set the table down on the lip boards and seat edge it fits sort of sort of not but it comes to a rest on the lip boards and the seat edge in a crooked sort of fashion.The table is heavy so plan on two people as mentioned above. No it isn't by any means and elegant solution but it works. As for short legs as noted by others some use them and find they don't line up and others ignore them and never have issues. I bought some plastic 4 inch pvc pipe and cut it to fit between the floor and the bottom of the table ignoring the leg mounting brackets so no lining up needed. As I see it I get additional support under the table and I don't have to worry about lining anything up because my pvc legs can go anywhere.
Re: the "bouncing legs problem"
I agree, this is an issue.
Also, when you try to put the table back on the legs, they wobble in their sockets.
My solution was to tap 1/4-20 holes in the floor base flanges, and put in a screw which you very lightly fasten.
It holds the legs from popping out
Once the table is out, loosen the bolts, and pull the legs
Also, recccomended a slight coating of silicone grease on the legs on the last 2 inches.

Apr 6, 2004
Hunter 49 Downers Grove, IL
Thanks for the advice/guidance on this. As Kevin and Dave noted, it doesn't line up "quite right" but seemed to work well once aligned. And yes, that table is heavy, and no the floor mounts don't align when down, and yes the "short legs" are too tall even if they DID line up.

Certainly wouldn't leave it down while underway (which I used to do a lot on my 35.5) with out some re-engineering. Fortunately, I will likely only need to extra sleeping space while at the dock.

On a slightly separate note, purely for my curiosity, but still table related for you 49 owners, 2 questions -
1. Have you ever taken the leaf out of your table? Can't see that I ever would and seems like a lot of engineering for a never used feature.
2. The bench seat - while it tucks nicely under the table, do you find yourselves generally with it in or out? You can't sit at it under, although it does open up walking to the forward cabin a bit.

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter 40 Mount Sinai
I keep the leaf out and stowed in the workshop (aft starboard cabin). It’s easier to get around the table to sit since there is usually only two of us. The bench is usually kept in. We put the leaf in and pull the bench out when the crowd arrives ...

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I took the leaf out once just to see it worked when I first bought the boat ... that was the last time. There are folks in my Marina with the same table that keep it out all the time like John for the same reason as John.

As for the bench seat (also know as my tool box) I keep it under the table 95% the time so it is out of the way. I do pull it out when we have folks eating around the table to add to the seating area / options

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
If I could fit 1/4 of all my tools into the bench seat, that would be incredible.
Next boat will be called “Floating Toolchest”