Key Snapped in Mobella Lock

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 38 Essex
I have recently snapped the key inside a Mobella lock on my boat. Fortunately the lock is in the open position. I tried to retrieve the broken end with fish hook barb, coping saw blade...etc with no avail. I think it would be cheaper to replace the Mobella lock (~$45), then hire a locksmith to fix it. Has anyone replaced the Mobella lock on their boat? I can not find out how it is attached to the companionway washboard. The Mobella lock is part # MG-01-110-50. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 38 Essex
It looks like it does just snap in. I tried somewhat to remove it yesterday and I didn't want to force it and break the Plexiglas. I will try again this weekend again.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
IMHO, I'd call a locksmith. They are fully equipped to handle such an issue, but don't know if that would be insured or not - depends on your policy.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Super Glue on the tip of a shaped tongue depressor (or similar thin stiff thingie)? stick it to the end of the key that ya can see.. then gently pull it out.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
If you still have the broken end of the key, that would make a great carrier for the superglue.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
As Bosman said but if you use a Phillips screw driver between the two racks when you rotate the screw driver it pulls both locking tabs in at the same time. If I remember correctly it comes out the top.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
use a Phillips screw driver between the two racks when you rotate the screw driver it pulls both locking tabs in at the same time.
That should certainly work as well - very good idea!

Dec 5, 2016
Hunter 38 Essex
Ron, The key seems pretty stuck in there, I am not sure if the pins are holding it in place or not. I tried a bunch of things that I found on youtube. Seems that the lock replacement would be the easiest at this time. I am sure a locksmith would be more than $45.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Just saw your pix on my computer rather than my phone, and it's clearly pretty far in there. I wonder if contacting the company might shed any light if that's an option?

Sep 12, 2011
Beneteau First 305 Annapolis
Thanks to ALL who answered this initial problem. Just had the same thing happen to me today. Will try to implement suggestions posted here! Great Work!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
It probably needs some lube , which would defeat any application of superglue.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
I would try spraying the broken key with WD-40, then a strong Shop Vac sucking on the key side while tapping on the back of the lock.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
A dental pick might be able to pull it out. Basically what the locksmith would use. Harbor Freight sells them.
Problem with broken keys is if you turned it hard enough to break it, the stub is probably twisted in the bore jamming it in there. You have to get something in behind the first tumbler notch to pull it out.