Spinaker.

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
I’ll wait to raise the halyard on mast. Seems I get little time to sail as it is. Don’t want to spend it working on the boat. Dec and Jan I will have it home in heated shop with mast down. Best time for maintenance. Rog

Nov 14, 2018
Great article. Thank you. It is saved for future reading. Again and again. Rog

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Big Rog, it is not necessary to have the halyard above the forestay to fly the spinnaker. With it below, you have at least three choices, 1. Pull down the sock to snuff the spin for the jibe and roll it through the foretriangle. 2. Set up for inside jibes with the sheets going inside the foretriangle. 3. Accept the fact that you will get some chafe on the halyard and cut a few inches off every once in a while.
I would suggest you try one of all of these options but don't give up the joy of flying your spin until next year just because the halyard in not ideal.

Nov 14, 2018
I will probably only make to lake a couple more times before going to Iowa to spray for a month. Should be done by mid August there. After that my year will be complete and plenty of time to sail and try new things. I will look back at these posts and try a few things. Might even get brother in law to crew. That would be good to have someone to share the success or failures along the way. Rog