Taxes, Registration and Documentation

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
If purchasing a sailboat in Florida, but we live in Alabama, I was told we could file a form that would allow us to delay paying the taxes for 60 days. Doing this would give us time to decide if we want to keep her in FL or come up to Alabama. Anyone heard of this?

If we go the 60 day route, do we get a sticker or documentation in the event we are boarded? We are also having the boat documented with the USCG. Anyone know how long this takes?

If we decide to keep her in FL, is there anything else we need to know to keep everything legal? We just want to make sure we do everything by the book.

Thank you

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Read the online brochure “Sales tax and use tax for boats;” at FloridaRevenue.com. The brochure has factual information about your questions and contact information for further resources. Appears that you will either pay sales tax to register the boat in Florida or a use tax to keep the boat in Florida without registering in Florida, unless the boat is in a Florida repair facility, in which case there is a 90 day exempt period. Otherwise, you’ve got 20 days to move it to Alabama or you will be subject to the sales tax or use tax. If you opt to pay the use tax, there is a decal that must be applied to the boat that is evidence that the tax is paid. If you pay the sales tax, you will use a FL registration decal.
When I documented my boat 7 years ago, it took about 3 months because it was the initial documentation; I would think that it would be quicker if the boat is already documented and you are getting the certificate of documentation changed and reissued in your name.

Last edited: