new owner restoring 85 MacGregor 21

Jun 10, 2019
MacGregor 21 lake pleasant arizona
recently retired and wishing to learn sailing - got a MacGregor 21 that needs repairs - after a bunch of cleaning I'm down to the boat - I will need to repair a bit of fiberglass on the cabin floor - my first question is about draining the boat - I can't find any drawings but it appears there are 3 compartments - I could drain and clean the fore compartment through the panels in the cabin - and I could clean and drain the aft compartment from the tiller seat - however I have a bunch of water that is in what I'd call the center compartment - the fiberglass repair I need to do has exposed that there is a bunch of water there - is this suppose to be a dry enclosed compartment that's been breached and that I need to open up the to be repaired area and drain it and seal it

thanks

Jun 10, 2019
I figured that was the case - however I cannot determine how to access the compartment - I was hoping to find a diagram of the boat but have had no luck - do you know how/where I access it

TIA

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Often there are limber holes, drain holes, that connect compartments, and after many years they get clogged, check near the centerline in the compartments.

Jun 10, 2019
yeah - got that and you're right - kinda thin in information

but thanks - I can use all the assistance offered

Jun 10, 2019
I cleaned checked fore and aft compartments along the entire edge and find no drain holes

it appears that if the fore compartment becomes filled it will drain over the center compartment to the aft compartment

I wonder if the center compartment was/is meant to be sealed for flotation purposes and that the reason there is water in it is because of the breach on the cabin deck that allowed water in

in which case when I repair the fiberglass I merely need to drain it and seal it and all should be good

thoughts and insights welcome

TIA

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Would it be possible to send some pictures? I'm a long time Mac 25 owner (also 1985), and familiar with how they built these boats, and actually considered a 21 before I ended up buying this one, but I'm having trouble visualizing what this situation looks like. We all might have a better idea of how to advise you.

Jun 10, 2019
good day captain - thanks for your kind offer - I took some pix - hopefully I can figure out how to include them - I apologize for the general messiness - still cleaning and sanding

so if I did this correctly the second image is the bed space above the fore compartment with the first image of the bulkhead separating the fore and middle compartments from the access panel

the third image is where the middle compartment is breached - the 6th image is the culprit of the breach - you can note the water damage it has corresponding to the breach

the 4th is the tiller seat access with the 5th being the bulkhead between the middle and aft compartments

I thank you for your insights

hope you are having a pleasant weekend

Attachments