Battling Mildew and Mold

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is a one day job.... I purchased a MacGregor 22 on a trailer with a set of two main sails and four different sized jibs AND a working outboard for only $900. There was a very good reason it was only $900. It had a tarp laid on the surface of the deck for years. The tarp really only helped keep the water trapped IN the boat. The galley cabinet had a full sized hornet's nest (think Winnie the Pooh). The flotation foam had been a rat colony for years etc. etc. It was NASTY!!!!!

I sold that Mac for $6,000 when I was done with it. Pull every thing out and then find a partner to run the shop vac while you pressure wash. Two hours later your interior will be very clean. When I did this job I ran the Vac and my daughter ran the pressure washer. I remember laughing when she sprayed the interior wall and said with surprise "Oh, it is white". I guess she thought the gray was the color of choice.

You can see a few pics of that restoration if you go to my album's page off of my profile.

Jan 19, 2010
Yep.;)
I have submitted that link to the FAQ section 2 times but they have never put it in.
It is pretty comprehensive discussion on Mildew etc.
Jim...
Got to love it...

upload_2019-5-31_13-21-0.png

Naphthalene

Basically it is two fused benzene rings. Yep, most likely mutanogenic.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Yep, most likely mutanogenic
Nope! I said it last so I win.:kick:
Also note the exposure limits discussion in that link.
_____
Benzene, yes.
Most modern drugs start with the Benzene ring or Toluene.
Add some Nitrogen to Toluene and you get TNT. Tri-Nitro Toluene.
The easy way to clean the boat link above.:pimp:
Jim...

Jan 19, 2010
Nope! I said it last so I win.:kick:
Also note the exposure limits discussion in that link.
_____
Benzene, yes.
Most modern drugs start with the Benzene ring or Toluene.
Add some Nitrogen to Toluene and you get TNT. Tri-Nitro Toluene.
The easy way to clean the boat link above.:pimp:
Jim...
True....

TNT

Also....

Aspirin

Sodium Benzoate (a preservative in your diet soda)

Tylenol

Aleve (yes!... looks a lot like naphthelene)

Ibuprophen

Capsaicin (hot peppers):thumbup:

upload_2019-5-31_13-56-4.png

Pseudoephedrine (Pseudophed)

.... wait for it.....

Methamphetamine (that is correct! just remove one little "-OH" group from pseudophed and you have meth):yikes:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Diluting Wet-and-Forget to about 0.25-0.5% BAC is what you want for interior work (20-40:1 dilution). They suggest 10:1 dilution, but that is for a quick kill of THICK moss on your roof.

As Rgranger pointed out, there are many quaternary amines that will work. BAC is simply one of the cheapest and most available.

Naphthalene is a non-starter for me. First, it is not that effective against mildew. More importantly, it is in the vapor and quickly leaves the surfaces if the boat is ventilated. So the ONLY way it works is if you button the boat up tight and never use it. Bummer.

Bleach removes surface contamination, at the risk of personal exposure and bleaching fabrics, while lacking penetrating power or preventative power (no preventative residue). Beach and bleach containing products have not performed very well in prevention trials.

Neither has tea tree oil. If you use enough to actually be effective it has health hazards. You need to read the independent research, not the stuff pedaled by the vendors. Some people like the smell and believe that means it did something. I've tested it side-by-side and been wholly unimpressed.

Cleanliness, ventilation, dehumidifiers, and cleaners that leave a preventative residue such as BAC or borax are all part of a strategy. They should be combined according to personal needs. I'm not poo-pooing of these.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
A recent joke in N. Carolina, where my daughter lives, is that the pollen in the air was so bad that the drug dealers were converting the Meth back into pseudophed. :laugh:

Mar 26, 2011
have you thought of using Condrobium Mold Control. I use on properties.
Very similar to Formula B... except less effective in side-by-side testing. Overpriced for pennies worth of chemicals.

Anyone can try the testing. Get some strips of what you want to test, threat them with different agents, inoculate, and incubate.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
While this is quite a chemistry lesson, I'd like to remind people that the OP's problem is that TSP is banned in NY or else he would have used "Formula B". I live in the equally environmentally regulated state of Massachusetts ( the one with the better baseball team). TSP is legal here. It's easy to get at HD or brought to your door by Amazon. This allows me to use "Formula B" on the boat which is cheap, safe, odorless, clear, doesn't stain, and doesn't damage boat surfaces. It also doesn't need to be rinsed off which removes a whole cleaning step. Leaving it to dry on the surface keeps mildew from coming back. While I am extremely careful with what I put in the ocean, I probably only use 1/2 gallon of the mix per year on the boat letting it dry on the surface. I never pour it down the drain. The TSP ban happened because in the 1960's every load of laundry in the US used to dump 10 times my annual TSP supply down the drain. Formula B was one of the top two winners of Practical Sailor's test of mildew cleaners and works better than most of the expensive commercial products. I especially like it because the ingredients have been around for a long time and are proven to be extremely low toxicity in normal concentrations. TSP is allowed as a food additive in Europe. You can brush your teeth with baking soda. And Borax (not the same thing as Boric Acid) is listed as just a mild skin irritant. Lemon juice is more irritating. It's far safer than the other REALLY toxic cleaners on my boat (e.g. Simple Green, Formula 409, SoftScrub, Windex, Acetone, On&Off, bleach). All ingredients are available by the pound on Amazon.

1 quart hot water
2 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons Borax
1 tablespoon TSP

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Can anyone recommend a remedy for this disaster? Sorry for the blurry video. I was holding my breath and running out of air near the end

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79awj78xijvvuh0/2019-05-23 19.39.34.mov?dl=0
I cleaned up a boat interior that was worse than that. It was easy. Take everything out of the boat. Put some Concrobium Mold Control in a small garden sprayer and mist all surfaces in the boat. Give the Concrobium a bit of time to do its thing, then go in with a pail of clean water and a big sponge and wipe the surfaces clean. At this point, the boat should be free of mold and mildew. To prevent mildew from recurring, apply another misting of Concrobium and leave it there.

Bleach, and its fumes, is toxic to humans and does nothing to prevent recurrence. But it is cheap.

Mar 8, 2019
ODay 322 Bodkin Creek, Chesapeake Bay
Very similar to Formula B... except less effective in side-by-side testing. Overpriced for pennies worth of chemicals.
It may be less effective but Concrobium definitely works where bleach and some of the other products just slowed the mold from showing back up for a short period. The other nice thing about Concrobium is that it is readily available in most any Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware. The one downside, as with bleach, is that it can wipe off some finishes and even slightly lighten old dark teak. Try a hidden area before going crazy with it.

As for fabrics, you can use Concrobium in soak water. I've not had a problem with losing color which bleach can do but also haven't pressed my luck time-wise.

Mar 26, 2011
It may be less effective but Concrobium definitely works where bleach and some of the other products just slowed the mold from showing back up for a short period. The other nice thing about Concrobium is that it is readily available in most any Lowes, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware. The one downside, as with bleach, is that it can wipe off some finishes and even slightly lighten old dark teak. Try a hidden area before going crazy with it.

As for fabrics, you can use Concrobium in soak water. I've not had a problem with losing color which bleach can do but also haven't pressed my luck time-wise.
I don't think you read what was in Formula B. No bleach. It is much like Concrobium... just better. And you can get everything you need at Giant or Walmart.