Mac 25 keel winch turns ?

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Good day all, has anyone out there with a Mac 25 ever counted the number of turns of the winch handle to fully lower/raise the keel ? My Mac is a 85' with a Dutton Lainson dlw800 brake winch. Thanks in advance for any replies.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
My winch has been replaced, but the new one appears to have a similar size drum. takes 31 turns. YMMV

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
My original Mac 25 (1985) winch took 30 turns. I'm in the process of replacing it and the cable with one from BW, so we'll see if that changes at all when I'm done.

Nov 19, 2018
Hey, thanks for the info ! Good luck with your new one, if it's more than $85.00 you might want to check out the Dutton Lainson model dlw800 on Amazon. i see them for $84 & change plus free shipping

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the info. Does the 1200 model turn easier than the 800 model ? Just curious.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Finally launched Water Music on Monday! I replaced the 34 year old winch and cable (which were in the process of failing...pictures below) with new Dutton Lainson model dlw800A and cable from Bluewater - works like a charm! As to your original question, from all the way up to all the way down is now 35 turns (up from 30). Please examine your cables and winches annually. If this had failed, it would have probably been not only inconvenient, but catastrophic, to be sure! I credit posts on this site and others to have stirred me from my complacency.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2018
Wow Pal, you got a break there ! It had come to the end of the trail & the only way out would have been DOWN ! Most definitely an annual inspection here ! Did you check the turning ball that guides the wire inside the vertical tube that the wire cable rides in. You have to make sure that the wire is installed on the correct side of the wall. It reduces chafe on the wire when it is right. Good luck !