I Just Learned An Expensive Lesson

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
So my wife and I just bought our first boat, that event I put on a thread from last Feb/March. We have been fixing some things and getting organized for some of the must do modifications. Overall, we really like our boat...perfect for us.

Because of a screw up with the boat broker that was suppose to do some things for us I asked the service yard with our marina to do a few simple things for me like change the oil and filter, fuel filter and check over the engine to make sure the previous work was done.

I just got a bill for $1600 include $450 for the oil change, $450 for the fuel filter change and $450 for the impellers. Idiot that I am, I didn't ask for an estimate......I was thinking along car type work.

So, I will not be doing that again. What turned out to be a simple self-indulgence was a huge expensive lesson learned. Time to put my DIY and mechanic's hat on.

Ugh.

Don Snyder
Laurel MD

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Yeah. Now you know why so many threads are DIY-centric. Sometimes it is because we like tinkering, but the other reason is that once you develop the skills, it is a HUGE money saver. If sailing turns into a lifetime obsession for you as it has for many of us, the cumulative savings can hit 6 figures before you know it. And BTW, there is no mechanic when the boat breaks down "out there."

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don,

I think we've all BTDT.

But all the talk of what they did with or to :yikes: your engine, you neglected to tell us what engine you do have! :(:):):)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Ditto to what Ken said.

Also, all are spot on about being DIY as they have tons of knowledge on the various subjects.

Our yard rate is $100/hr. That’s about an hours worth of work and $50 or less in parts.

Annapolis is probably higher but is, as Ken said, robbery.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We avoid Nappy marinas for work, heard similar stories and there’s nicer places to get work done.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On my boat, and the one previous, the oil has to be pumped out by hand via the dipstick holster, then have to pull the filter, then replace the oil, etc. That’s easily an hour’s work. You have start up the diesel to let the oil warm up to lose viscosity. That could take 15 minutes. Pump it out could take 10 min unless they have a mechanized pump. (Depends on what you are using.) Take off the oil filter. Clean up the mess doing that usually makes. Match the filter with replacement and acquire it. Install. Pour the oil via a funnel that’s hard to place properly; make sure not to over fill. Run the engine again to check for leaks. Finish cleaning up; properly dispose of old oil, filter, rags, and containers. Labor, up-charge on materials plus tax, environmental fees, etc., comes to $450? Still seems like a lot.

Last edited:

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
Yep, forgot to mention my engine type, Universal MP-25. It seems to run really well and sips fuel. We motored for over eight hours and the needle barely moved off of full!

Kind of noisey...but not bad.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yep, forgot to mention my engine type, Universal MP-25. It seems to run really well and sips fuel. We motored for over eight hours and the needle barely moved off of full!

Kind of noisey...but not bad.
It goes down much faster after off the full mark.

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
I have to admit though, I didn't ask for an estimate so that makes me an idiot...not just an idiot but a big idiot.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have to admit though, I didn't ask for an estimate so that makes me an idiot...not just an idiot but a big idiot.
Consider the idiots who thought it was a good idea to create a one-job customer when they could have had a regular. My guess is they don't have a lot of regular customer so feel completely justified in their billing practices.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That makes you trusting and a newbie. We have all been there, in many ways.

Everyone of us started somewhere. All of the guys with a lot of knowledge started somewhere. As long as we learn from our mistakes.
One thing you absolutely did right was find this forum and had the kohonas to post about your mistake. OK, that’s two things you did right.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i would not pay it. that is $400. 00 an hour for labor that's moving slow. i would be making a huge, loud stink everywhere in that marina.
each of those jobs takes 1/2 hr max. my guy at my yard will do all three jobs in 1/2 hr.
he uses an electric oil extractor, while that's running he does the filters, 5-7 minutes, the impeller is three screw out, swap impeller, three screws in. fill with oil, done.
your yard is stealing you blind. call the cops. that is stealing

plus my guy tells jokes while he's doing the job, no extra charge

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
That makes you trusting and a newbie. We have all been there, in many ways.

Everyone of us started somewhere. All of the guys with a lot of knowledge started somewhere. As long as we learn from our mistakes.
One thing you absolutely did right was find this forum and had the kohonas to post about your mistake. OK, that’s two things you did right.
Like Ward said, we all have been there, that makes this a better site. If you still feel bad, stand under the boom and let go of the topping lift a few times. The headache should replace the pain in your wallet by the third hit.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I do all of those things. The oil change is is dirty and disgusting and involves a lot of cleanup and takes a solid hour. Fuel filter takes 15 minutes to do and 45 minutes to take the used oil and fuel to the recycler. I did the impeller change once and it took about 1/2 hour. You can do this and there is a lot of documentation and maybe even some you tube videos to familiarize yourself with the process. I used to have a service business and I can understand charging for services. It is my opinion that 450.00 for each of those things is straight up robbery. I think you should "out" this Marina on this forum for the benefit of the local users.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I agree with the sentiments that it's robbery and the ability to gain diy input on how to do things, but by the same token, there are people out there (not likely to hang out on this forum) who should not be allowed to touch a screwdriver. We have a neighbour who can persuade a chop saw to make noises that one would think it incapable of making.
I'm not suggesting anybody here, but there's usually a reason beyond local taxes and operating costs that these rates apply.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fuel filter change record.
7 minutes from when clogged filter stopped engine til engine restarted in the middle of Juan D’Fuca Strait.

$10 fuel filter. I think I have way under estimated my DIY shop rate.