Best practices for entering a new harbor

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
How are you getting those chart pictures to post?

I like when I race at 6 kts to cross while they throttle up and tell me they can’t change speed or direction.
If you’re asking me, I’m just taking screenshots of the app from my iPad, then posting them as regular pictures.

Man I never try and cross them. They are really coming at you, and it’s really hard to discern their speed and distance. One minute they seem a mile away, and the next minute it’s holy crap!

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So, the best way to do it IMHO is to monitor the range and bearing using the radar. You can easily see if you should hold course and speed to cross ahead, or slow down or change course to cross astern. We've crossed close enough astern once or twice to feel the prop wash/turbulence trailing the Bruiser. Of course, I use the 7x50's to get the true visuals as well. Also, you know that it is in the traffic lane, if there is one. If you know where you are:doh:, you'll know if you need to scoot or not.

Nov 8, 2010
So, the best way to do it IMHO is to monitor the range and bearing using the radar. You can easily see if you should hold course and speed to cross ahead, or slow down or change course to cross astern. We've crossed close enough astern once or twice to feel the prop wash/turbulence trailing the Bruiser. Of course, I use the 7x50's to get the true visuals as well.
You should always hold course (90 to the track of the lane), and adjust speed. That's what they want and expect. Once you're in the lane, you're part of the TSS.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You should always hold course (90 to the track of the TSS), and adjust speed. That's what they want and expect.
Make the course & speed corrections before entering the TSS. Forgive, there is no "always."

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Mostly all big boats have AIS so I set my vectors for 10 minutes so I know where everyone will be in 10. I notify them of my exclusion zone and don’t mind waiting as long as they play ball. Some have changed course and speed to come as near as they want instead of playing nice. I just give them a hail on VHF 16 & 13 so the USCG can hear it.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
This was a True/False question on an ASA exam that I took about 30 years ago. I remember it because there was no reference to traffic separation schemes in the text and everyone got it wrong. The instructor later explained TSS and that the closest one around these parts was in Gulfport, MS excluding the Mississippi River.
With regards to crossings, if a ship is in sight, I would always slow down and pass astern. I would not take a chance because miscalculating could be costly. I have been on a few cruises and never ceases to amaze me how many sailors do not respect and get out of the way of these monsters.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
and for how not to enter harbors or get stuck for weeks, get 'Total Loss' , a wonderful collection of true stories by british yachtsmen of how they managed to wreck their boats going into or out of various harbors...

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I also occasionally check google earth for a bird’s eye view of the locale
On a PC, if you cursor over the photo it will tell you at the bottom of the screen the date of the photo coverage pass.

Nov 8, 2010
This was a True/False question on an ASA exam that I took about 30 years ago. I remember it because there was no reference to traffic separation schemes in the text and everyone got it wrong. The instructor later explained TSS and that the closest one around these parts was in Gulfport, MS excluding the Mississippi River.
Indeed, TSS is a full section on the RYA Yachtmaster test. While the ASA sequence is not as involved, I'm a huge fan of some level of systematized testing and accreditation of skills. WAY too many people on the water who don't know what they don't know.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Indeed, TSS is a full section on the RYA Yachtmaster test. While the ASA sequence is not as involved, I'm a huge fan of some level of systematized testing and accreditation of skills. WAY too many people on the water who don't know what they don't know.
Off the water too!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I usually sail with charts and cruising guides. I load waypoints in to the chart plotter, look at the charted depths, tide tables and for any comments in the cruising guide. Enter at slow speed and watch the depth meter.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Crossed TSS twice since Friday heading for Port San Luis from Long Beach. In the San Pedro Channel there were no Bruisers in sight. In the East Santa Barbara Channel, one passed southbound some time b/f we arrived at the boundary. To cross at right angles required headings away from our destinations, so we’re giving up a mile or more each time to comply w/ COLREGS. However, the crossings were NOT near harbors, so have little to do with the thread topic except in a general sense.

I thought about this discussion thread when we arrived near Coho anchorage and were seeking to enter. I had read about this “harbor” several times in Fagan’s guide book but, alas, did not have the book aboard:yikes:. The result of too much to do to remember to put aboard an item that usually IS aboard. I did have the relevant pages of Coast Pilot 7, paper chart, and a small GPS chart plotter. From afar the setting presented a bewildering scene, not meeting expectations of a refuge anchorage. CP 7 said to anchor near the culvert under the train tracks. The only culvert we could see with powerful binoculars “under the train tracks” did not appear to match with the distance yet to travel. We even took time to confirm the definition of culvert as that thing we were seeing on approach. The e-charts were not helping us. So I went below to plot our position on the paper chart and get the magnetic bearing to the anchoring location as charted. Using my Polaris 7x50’s I fixed that bearing to a spot several hundred meters ahead—-but we could not see any culvert:doh:. Proceeding several more minutes, we began to see a large culvert emerging into view from behind a dune of sand where the bearing had indicated it should be near. Yeah! Eventually we lined up on a good approach, threading our way through some kelp to the spot. I’m just glad we did not have to do that at night! Picking the wrong place to approach the shore might have had a bad outcome.
3F67F0FE-85C0-4758-9024-F83268C1AB0A.jpeg

The spot Saturday night.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Crossed TSS twice since Friday heading for Port San Luis from Long Beach. In the San Pedro Channel there were no Bruisers in sight. In the East Santa Barbara Channel, one passed southbound some time b/f we arrived at the boundary. To cross at right angles required headings away from our destinations, so we’re giving up a mile or more each time to comply w/ COLREGS. However, the crossings were NOT near harbors, so have little to do with the thread topic except in a general sense.
With not a boat in sight with eyeballs or AIS, I would have done the same.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A while back, entering NY Harbor from Sandy Hook we were on the west side of the channel, i.e., the wrong side. There was very little traffic in the harbor and we were headed to a marina on the west side of the Hudson River. We stayed on the wrong side of the channel hugging the boundary. It didn't make sense to spend 15 minutes crossing the channel to only spend 15 more minutes crossing back in a couple of miles. If a large boat had approached we had plenty of room and water to move out side of the channel. Besides that we desperately needed to get to the marina for showers since we had sailed from the C&D canal through the night, it had been several days since the other crew member had seen a shower. :(

Nov 8, 2010
As fortune would have it, there is a 2-page article in the latest issue of Sailing World (the racing mag) about Racing rules for boats in Traffic Separation Schemes. It points out while the RRS (48.2) says a boat must always comply with COLREGS Special Rule 10 regarding TSS, it also notes that the COLREGS rules are written for fuzzy real-world conditions, and contain words like 'normally', 'general direction' and 'practicable'. Words you never find in the RRS and SI, which are black and white and much more prescriptive.
Those terms are a judge's nightmare. It notes that several YCs have come to an accord with their local VTS for special rules written into their SI (allowed by COLREGS) to create enforceable racing rules regarding TTSs. Some, like the Fastnet, simply punt and treat them as obstructions.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sitting here reading Kretschmer’s new book, “Sailing to the Edge of Time.” The chapter is “Situational Awareness.” He and his crew are caught suddenly in a violent rain squall while heading for Gozo in the northern Maltese islands. They are motoring. Can’t see s**t, including the instruments, but he can read the compass. They are wishing to enter the destination harbor, being near it. Kretschmer writes during a lengthy mental self-flagellation over having gotten himself into the situation, an unforced error:

“As part of the navigational drill aboard Quetzal I tell the crew, only half-jokingly, that they should memorize the harbor chart before making an approach into a new harbor. Of course, you can’t memorize a chart, but you should have a clear vision of where the hazards, navigational aids, and natural landmarks are, especially with respect to your heading. You should know what to anticipate so you’re not surprised if visibility is suddenly obscured.... The chartplotter should confirm what you already know—you should not be following a preplotted route with no idea of direction and course. Honing a basic sense of direction is still vital in the GPS age.... In an emergency a backup plan may be the difference between a disaster and a good story.”

He then continues next paragraph:

“Then, as if on cue, the motor sputtered, gasped for air, and suddenly quit like an actor dying in a bad movie...”

I continue with me reading.:D

KG

Last edited: