Spreader tightness

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Another :plus:on the Loos gauge; straightforward to use, and accurate (so far as I can tell). The musical ability in my family all went to my sister, so my ears aren't nearly good enough to use @Gene Neill's approach. :(

North Sails has a C-22 tuning guide at https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/resources/catalina-22-tuning-guide with recommended numbers for light and heavy air. Great for a numbers geek. If only I was good enough at sail trim to make real use out of all that info...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I am a musician of sorts, jazz only, being a jazz drummer I don't pretend to rely on a Gsharp or an Aflat when tuning shrouds, we do rudiments, time signatures only...rely on the Loos gauge.........guitar/sax/horn players may differ!

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
There are ways to tune the rig with out a loos. They are a PITA unless you have a good baseline tune (like Neal) beg buy borrow a loos if this is your first set up, or you have new shrouds. Then check the tune after your first sail before you take down the mast. New shrouds tend to stretch a bit then settle in for the Long haul.

May 24, 2018
Catalina 22 Norcal
There are ways to tune the rig with out a loos. They are a PITA unless you have a good baseline tune (like Neal) beg buy borrow a loos if this is your first set up, or you have new shrouds. Then check the tune after your first sail before you take down the mast. New shrouds tend to stretch a bit then settle in for the Long haul.
That's good advice. I took my boat out last week after replacing the chain plates and turnbuckles over the winter. I squared my mast and set the tension. Then motored around eating sandwiches and getting maybe an hour of sailing in before anchoring. I checked the rig again the next morning and everything had loosened up significantly.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I finally got my boat out for a day sail after replacing some of the rigging and noticed the drop in tension, glad to read above that it's a normal thing. I wrote down all the rig tuning data from the North website as well as the tighten/loosen directions of the turnbuckles on a piece of tape and put it on the back of the Loos gauge. For once, I wasn't pulling out my phone or turning something in the wrong direction.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I finally got my boat out for a day sail after replacing some of the rigging and noticed the drop in tension, glad to read above that it's a normal thing. I wrote down all the rig tuning data from the North website as well as the tighten/loosen directions of the turnbuckles on a piece of tape and put it on the back of the Loos gauge. For once, I wasn't pulling out my phone or turning something in the wrong direction.
Great idea! I have it all in my boat binder with all my other checklists, but right on the gauge is even better!