Cruising non-stop... what runs out first?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
17th century monks did a beer fast for the 40 days of Lent.:beer:

Back in the 1600s, Paulaner monks moved from Southern Italy to the Cloister Neudeck ob der Au in Bavaria. “Being a strict order, they were not allowed to consume solid food during Lent,” the braumeister and beer sommelier of Paulaner Brewery Martin Zuber explained in a video on the company’s website.

They needed something other than water to sustain them, so the monks turned to a common staple of the time of their region – beer. They concocted an “unusually strong” brew, full of carbohydrates and nutrients, because “liquid bread wouldn’t break the fast,” Zuber noted.

This was an early doppelbock-style beer, which the monks eventually sold in the community and which was an original product of Paulaner brewery, founded in 1634. They gave it the name “Salvator,” named after “Sankt Vater,” which “roughly translates as ‘Holy Father beer,’”

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is more of a coastal cruising situation, we have found - especially with a family onboard - what you run out of first is space for waste (not holding tank waste - but that's another 'space' you may run out of first, coastal sailing).

Little thought is put into onboard waste in boat design that I know of. These days, a recycle system/containment is needed as well.

Off shore boats used to dump most everything overboard, even plastic. That's no longer a good idea. More thought in provisioning these days can streamline the process but a boat off shore for a couple weeks is going to need space for waste.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
For the Trash/Etc, If seen some of the offshore people using their dingy as the large capacity waste can. Just keep plenty of double strength plastic bags on board, fill it up and it becomes the first thing to dump when you land.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Mitchum
Haaaa! LMAO :) Deodorant is pretty low on my list of priorities when living out in the fresh air, wearing t-shirts and shorts in the tropics.
(BTW @Jackdaw you should do a Google search on the health effects of deodorants that contain aluminum such as Mitchum. It's something to avoid, seriously. I use Thai deodorant stick - no aluminum, very effective and unscented.)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This is more of a coastal cruising situation, we have found - especially with a family onboard - what you run out of first is space for waste (not holding tank waste - but that's another 'space' you may run out of first, coastal sailing).

Little thought is put into onboard waste in boat design that I know of. These days, a recycle system/containment is needed as well.

Off shore boats used to dump most everything overboard, even plastic. That's no longer a good idea. More thought in provisioning these days can streamline the process but a boat off shore for a couple weeks is going to need space for waste.
I have a section of an ama that is used to stow trash and recycling. Those floats in a trimaran are good for something. :)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The best way to deal with trash is to not bring much of it aboard to start with. Avoid foods/stuff that inherently create future trash waste by virtue of their packagings. Big example—chips & other snack foods. Bring apples instead, or nuts & sunflower seeds repackaged before boarding in reusable containers such as Tupperware. Crush soda cans and recycle. You can throw some straight garbage over at certain distances from shore, but not many forms of packaging, etc. Perhaps use the bilge of some boats for recyclables like beer and wine bottles that won’t deteriorate, etc.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Haaaa! LMAO :) Deodorant is pretty low on my list of priorities when living out in the fresh air, wearing t-shirts and shorts in the tropics.
(BTW @Jackdaw you should do a Google search on the health effects of deodorants that contain aluminum such as Mitchum. It's something to avoid, seriously. I use Thai deodorant stick - no aluminum, very effective and unscented.)
Oh my God. I’ll be the happiest man in the world is what I die from is improper deodorant use. I have so many more vices!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Trash?

I did two weeks in the boundary waters. The rangers only allow you to pack in food stuffs in burnable containers. You might be able to take a similar approach and use a stern rail grill as an incinerator:thumbup::rolleyes:

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
A BenePogo! No backstay, what to do with the dinghy? A garage would be nice. Looks like a giant main and a modest jib set back a little bit from the bow. Does the keel lift/pivot? All electric would be cool no propane no petrol (Torqueedo). Looks like they have done a nice job getting rid of all the ropes. The traveler position is novel.

Nov 8, 2010
A BenePogo! No backstay, what to do with the dinghy? A garage would be nice. Looks like a giant main and a modest jib set back a little bit from the bow. Does the keel lift/pivot? All electric would be cool no propane no petrol (Torqueedo). Looks like they have done a nice job getting rid of all the ropes. The traveler position is novel.
It has a garage. Due to the mast being aft the sailplan is quite balanced, even with the squaretop main. Over 1800 sqt feet of upwind sail. The keel pivots, as do most Finot fast cruisers. The traveler location is common on these Vendee-inspired boats. Very wide, you rarely touch the mainsheet while trimming.
FC53-amenagement.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Not a fan of fixed bobstays when anchoring, but it looks like a very cool boat.
Its actually made of dyneema, and can be retracted from the bow by slackening the tack line. You can then pull it clear of the anchor.

Nov 8, 2010

Thats a great point for everyone I think. For sure, modern food packaging does not help. In one of their books the Pardey's have a whole chapter on re-packaging for provisioning. You often do the same sort of thing when backpacking.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
So for the clumsy, it looks like it has a crash box, a watertight bulkhead a few feet behind the bow.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
$2million dang! I was so going to buy one. SA/displacement of 32:1 12 ft draft (keel down) water ballast. Well maybe on boat show special.

Jun 6, 2019
21 Reynolds Catamaran Pittsburgh
A large section of the cabintop is designed for integrated solar panels. They did several electric budget scenarios and they all worked. The boat also has a generator and 200g of diesel tankage. You would of course add wind turbines to the spec.

But you are right, this is NOT a boat designed to sit at anchor. Hence the design brief, and the question.

View attachment 165686
Now that is a Sharp looking fast Boat there!