Gin Pole

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
T_Cat's setup look similar to the one Blue Water Yachts sells for $$. I had one for my 26S. The winch with baby stays makes it easy for one person to raise and lower the mast even with a cross breeze.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
A small tender boat on the water is always going to be more difficult to step than that same boat secured on a trailer.....Years ago when we did gin pole step we di it thusly:
1) the mast had one pin ( aft) in place
2) the mast was elevated at the stern rail in a crutch and the gin pole MUST be higher than the mast head
3) back stay and upper shrouds were in place
4) the gin pole stood 90 degrees from the mast and was pinned thru the forward mast butt plate.
5) discovered that a "keeper" board between the mast and gin pole "kept" their relationship the same
6) a small line was made fast to the fore stay and run to the bow
7) main halyard was cleated to the mast and the snap shackle with another line attached laid over the pully atop
the gin pole.
8) we found that using another trailer winch that was easily removable and set-able on the trailer tongue and was
to be higher than the bow pulpit provided the optimum angle.
9) the halyard with extender attached to the flat webbing of the higher winch and then cranked
10 the fore stay with the attached line at the bow was pulled to bring everything to the stem fitting.. viola !

Jun 5, 2019
77 Macgregor Venture 21 Jungle Terrace
Awesome. Thank you all for the help. Looks like I’m headed to Home Depot tonight.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you ever think you might need to lower the mast on the water, under a bridge etc, think about a portable setup that doesn't need the trailer.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
My pole looks a lot like @T_Cat's. I used a brake winch (like the keel winch on most of our swing-keel trailer sailers), so we're not at risk of anyone's fingers slipping off the winch handle while lowering. :yikes:

A brake winch is more expensive than ratcheting trailer winch, but usually less than $100 (I think Fulton and Dutton Lainson are solid brands). You can decide if the the extra $$ is worth it. I lost my grip on the winch while lowering our kayak in the garage one day. I just about broke my wrist trying to grab it - that convinced me to go for the brake winch for the mast.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Here is a setup I had on my O'Day 23. I've modified to use only the mainsheet, instead of the winch on the trailer, on our S2. I second the brake winch. If you do use the mainsheet use a hand over hand method when lowering instead of letting the line slip through your hands. Ouch!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I don't use a gin pole on my boat, but I do have an 8' crutch that I fit into the rudder gudgeons, much like you show in your original picture. This gets the mast about 1/2 way up, roughly 45º. I then stand on the cabin top facing aft, straddling the mast. I can start lifting and then start walking backwards along the cabin top, being able to keep the backstay, and both shrouds in view in case there is a bad kink, in which case I can lower and start again. I also have a swiveling cam cleat for my spinnaker halyard, so I clip that to the stemhead fitting, and once the mast is up, with minimal pressure towards the front with one hand, I can pull the spin halyard tight and cleat in the cam cleat. Now the rig stays up while I futz around with pinning the forestay. I have never been the kind of person who can stand in the cockpit, lift the mast, somehow jump up on the seat, then the cabin, all while keeping the mast in line so it doesn't bend the sh**t out of the mast step hinge. Facing forward and walking a mast up works in an open daysailer, but not when I've got the cabin. I'm thrilled that I discovered my method, and I try to teach it to anyone in our club who needs help.