C-301 Forward Berth Mattress

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The title was supposed to read: C-310 Forward Berth Mattress. My apologies for the typo.

How does one remove the really nice spring mattress in the forward berth of the C-310?

Did the build the boat around it???!!????!!!

I need to work on the air conditioner compressor, which in my C-310 is under the forward berth mattress, forward of the water tank. Sliding forward under the mattress to access the compressor is just not working out well. The admiral to help, much to her annoyance, and we tried for over an hour today to get the mattress out. 90 degrees outside, hotter in the boat. Twisting every which way, and with considerable adult language, we could not remove the mattress from the berth. Despite the temperatures here in the Florida panhandle, there is a definite chill emanating from the Admiral. Help!!!

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
definitely doable. I did it several years ago with lots of pushing-bending-shoving by just me. You will need to muscle it out.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
We have removed it a few times and it's not pretty but can be done. Bend it, squeeze it and push like hell!
bob

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ya, I was checking my AC issues a few weeks ago, also forward of water tank. Royal pain for sure. Luckly I read my issue was solved by using water hose to pushwater into the system from the discharge. I wasn't getting a good discharge so this solved it.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I just happen to have some ratchet straps laying about. I will give it a go. In the mean time, I crawled underneath the mattress with a flashlight, and a wood block. I rapped on the compressor a few times and voila, cool air in the boat at the dock. Maybe it was just stuck after not being turned on since September.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I just happen to have some ratchet straps laying about. I will give it a go. In the mean time, I crawled underneath the mattress with a flashlight, and a wood block. I rapped on the compressor a few times and voila, cool air in the boat at the dock. Maybe it was just stuck after not being turned on since September.
LMAO! When in doubt, BRING OUT THE HAMMER!.... :biggrin::worship: