Best way to fix an oxidized grey gelcoat hull?

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
6E9418A8-4D82-4CA2-B7AF-52B519DC45BC.jpeg
I finally bought a boat, a 1988 O’Day 192. Everything is in great shape except the grey hull has some oxidation on it. Any tips to get the gelcoat back to its original shine?

Hopefully the boat will be delivered on Saturday so I have some time to grab supplies.

Also, after researching and looking for an O’Day 192 this was the only one I saw that had an original gray hull. Anyone know of any others?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Lots of good videos at www.autogeek.net
I use the foam pads, liquid rubbing compound and wax with a porter cable 7424 orbital polisher to apply followed by a rotary polisher with the "wool" pads to remove the compound and wax. Lot of work but it comes out well.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Before you do anything, verify whether it is gelcoat or paint. The difference is crucial in determining how to bring it back.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Follow these directions from Mainesail -
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html
The alternative is try all the other possibilities, then eventually follow these directions from Mainesail.
That’s an awesome guide. Definitely just going to follow that the first time.

Spoke to someone about what’s going on and they think there’s a coat of old floor polish on the hull. I’ll have to use ammonia to remove that before starting the Mainesail directions.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Rather than wet sanding, you might consider using "Aqua-Buff". I keep a container of 1000 and 2000 grit on hand for polishing out minor scratches and cutting the heavier oxidization where the imperfection doesn't necessarily require sanding or to remove the sanding scratches where sanding was needed. I use my DA orbital buffer for this and follow it with waxing using the Makita rotary buffer. My approach is to use the least abrasive method I can to achieve the objective of a smooth clean finish. And, BTW the Mainesail treatise is top notch - as are most things he writes/posts.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
First, @GSBNY - great looking boat and congratulations! I wish you many happy sails.
Second, the @Maine Sail approach is the way to go for a quality look. It's a pain in the beginning (literally, it hurts to hold that buffer up for the full 10 minutes per little square) but in the end, it is worth it. I did this once a few years ago, and now I just paste wax and launch. It'll save time in the long run, and make you proud!

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Nice looking boat. I didn’t know they made that model with the grey gelcoat. My last boat, O 240 had the grey gelcoat. I miss the color it was a head turner.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Nice looking boat. I didn’t know they made that model with the grey gelcoat. My last boat, O 240 had the grey gelcoat. I miss the color it was a head turner.
I spent the last 2 months looking at 192’s all over the place and this was the only gray one I saw. Doesn’t seem to be a common color.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
First, @GSBNY - great looking boat and congratulations! I wish you many happy sails.
Second, the @Maine Sail approach is the way to go for a quality look. It's a pain in the beginning (literally, it hurts to hold that buffer up for the full 10 minutes per little square) but in the end, it is worth it. I did this once a few years ago, and now I just paste wax and launch. It'll save time in the long run, and make you proud!
Thanks, very excited to hopefully have it delivered on a Saturday so I can get to work.

Going to use that guide for sure but I think my first step will be removing what looks like floor wax on the hull.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
What looks like floor wax is probably poliglow It is like a floor wax. Research the product. They make a solvent to remove it.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I spent the last 2 months looking at 192’s all over the place and this was the only gray one I saw. Doesn’t seem to be a common color.
The grey hulls were built very late in the production run. Most were cream and blue. I prefer my cream and blue, but I'd be just fine moving up to a 240, which is also the grey color scheme. Actually, I'm not ok moving up to a 240, because then I'd have to start all over again fixing up a boat. Besides, I like my 192, and it's great for our lake. You'll get good results using Maine Sail's proper buff and wax tutorial. I started out mine with wet sanding, and then the Presta products, but I now prefer annual polish touch ups using 3M Finesse-it with the yellow wool pad. I just launched yesterday (FINALLY!)

IMG_0510.jpg

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I ordered a bunch of cleaning supplies today. Going to follow MaineSails guide. I’ve used the same process before on a few of my fiberglass sea kayaks using:
  • Davis FSR
  • 3M Super Heavy Duty Compound
  • Presta Polish
  • Colonite 885 Fleetwax
If it is floor wax on the hull I’ve been told that a good way to remove it is to mix ammonia and water with a bit of dish soap. Confirmed that the boat arrives Saturday so I’ll just have to be patient until then though it’s been very difficult so far.

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
The grey hulls were built very late in the production run. Most were cream and blue. I prefer my cream and blue, but I'd be just fine moving up to a 240, which is also the grey color scheme. Actually, I'm not ok moving up to a 240, because then I'd have to start all over again fixing up a boat. Besides, I like my 192, and it's great for our lake. You'll get good results using Maine Sail's proper buff and wax tutorial. I started out mine with wet sanding, and then the Presta products, but I now prefer annual polish touch ups using 3M Finesse-it with the yellow wool pad. I just launched yesterday (FINALLY!)

View attachment 165714
Congrats on the launch.

My goal is to bring it to that level of shine. We’ll see if I need to wet sand or not (though it’s looking pretty likely at this point).

Couldn’t help but notice that Forester in the background. Do you use that to tow the 192? I have the same Forester and it would be nice it tow with it for short trips around town.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Definitely the first order of business is to get rid of the PoliGlow (if that’s what was on there).

Beyond that, oxidation on my 240 was troublesome and is something that I have to stay on top of every year.

My approach is consistent with what Mainesail and others advocate—a combination of rubbing compounds and wax.

I used 3M originally but now prefer Meguiar’s products—cutting cream is excellent as a rubbing compound and their fiberglass wax also has a little bit of grit to get that last bit of oxidation off.

I did use a buffer the first time… I bought one of the cheapo units at Harbor Freight, which is really all I need.

Once the grey hull is shined up it does look nice

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Congrats on the launch.

My goal is to bring it to that level of shine. We’ll see if I need to wet sand or not (though it’s looking pretty likely at this point).

Couldn’t help but notice that Forester in the background. Do you use that to tow the 192? I have the same Forester and it would be nice it tow with it for short trips around town.
GSBNY, it is a 2011 Forester. I do tow with that, mostly 15 miles back and forth to the lake, and slowly. I'm super paranoid I'm gonna mess up the transmission somehow, even though I don't have to go up hills that require much downshifting. Depending on where you look up the tow specs, the Foz can do either 2,000 or 2,400 pounds, and the boat and trailer are most likely over that limit, because what production boat was ever at the listed displacement spec? Especially with a bunch of stuff in it like put in my boat! :yikes: I've been doing it for 5 years now, and the trans isn't dead yet... Like I said, I don't really exceed 50mph, and I'm mostly towing on back roads.

This fall, Subaru will be offering a turbo Outback that can tow 3,500 pounds. I'd really like to trade into that car. It kills me to take on a car payment again, but I have fantasies about towing the boat to the Chesapeake or Lake George, NY for vacations. I also know that realistically, I probably will never do these things, but I also wouldn't mind a newer, fancier car! :biggrin:

GSBNY

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Definitely the first order of business is to get rid of the PoliGlow (if that’s what was on there).

Beyond that, oxidation on my 240 was troublesome and is something that I have to stay on top of every year.

My approach is consistent with what Mainesail and others advocate—a combination of rubbing compounds and wax.

I used 3M originally but now prefer Meguiar’s products—cutting cream is excellent as a rubbing compound and their fiberglass wax also has a little bit of grit to get that last bit of oxidation off.

I did use a buffer the first time… I bought one of the cheapo units at Harbor Freight, which is really all I need.

Once the grey hull is shined up it does look nice
I got the boat today and I think it is poliglow unfortunately. Time to see how hard this stuff is to remove. Then after that it’ll be time to wet sand, compound, polish, and wax.