Electric harbors are coming.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It's inevitable as the technology of electric propulsion of transportation accelerates around the world.

Locally, I saw 2 new Torqueedo powered tenders in my harbor in the last week.

This couple carried an easy package down the ramp to their inflatable. The shaft and motor came out, obviously light in weight, and easily mounted on the transom.

Then the battery, about the same weight, was easily secured in the mount.

Torqueedo.jpg

Bits of news of larger boats being built with electric auxiliary power seem to be growing.

Even work boat designs with electric propulsion are hitting the news. We're behind the automotive industry in electric propulsion but only 10 years ago, many scoffed at electric autos. Not anymore.

Loaded up, the couple cast off for their maiden voyage with the new tender. The boat noiselessly spun around and headed out of the channel.

Not engulfed in the usual noisy cloud of a gasoline outboard, I said hi and we had a soft conversation from about 50 feet away as they powered by.

I took a couple photos as they headed out in the harbor. The only sound outside of a circling Osprey overhead, was the gentle bubbling of their wake.
Torqueedo2.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
By looking at the pictures you took! Does this mean you don't have to register your dinghy (bow numbers) if you use electric motor?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
By looking at the pictures you took! Does this mean you don't have to register your dinghy (bow numbers) if you use electric motor?
I doubt it, they probably haven't put the numbers on the new dinghy yet. Wave the registration, might be a good idea to promote cleaner harbors.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I doubt it, they probably haven't put the numbers on the new dinghy yet. Wave the registration, might be a good idea to promote cleaner harbors.
Tom, I think you have a good idea there. You might bring this up at the town meeting, you've raised good points here!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
In our state (Washington) they want that money for registration for any boat that has a motor of any kind. Even a kid's toy if they can ride in it. The only exception is on "non-federal waters" but there is no list of what is designated "federal waters".

Ken

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm thinking about getting a Torqeedo for the convenience of my wife. She's not quick enough to get a small outboard started, so it's either big electric-start RIB, or electric. They're also a great deal lighter than a 6hp outboard. Now if only they could solve the range and price problems.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'm thinking about getting a Torqeedo for the convenience of my wife. She's not quick enough to get a small outboard started, so it's either big electric-start RIB, or electric. They're also a great deal lighter than a 6hp outboard. Now if only they could solve the range and price problems.
Before that, Torqeedo should design a way to LOCK the battery to the motor. In particular for high-theft areas. That thing is 700 dollar bill sitting on the transom of your dink while you enjoy a cocktail at shore-side bar. Its 'secured' to the motor via a plastic pin, designed to hold it in place, but not secure it from theft.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We simply need better storage capacity and charging availability. I use my dinghy extensively in a harbor on Catalina that has no plug in availability locally. I could charge from the boat, but then I am pirating it's storage.
I'd love to have an electric vehicle too. Teslas are ubiquitous in CA. However, it's 100 miles each way to the boat with no local charging posts. A 250 mile range for $100K just isn't going to cut it.
Electric works for a lot of people very well right now. It's just a bit too limited for me now, but it will come.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Up here in Washington they are buying a "hybrid ferry". The battery bank to drive a ferry must be enormous. I wonder if the energy it takes to produce and dispose of used batteries is taken into account. I'm all for protecting the environment and saving orcas but this looks like an expensive development project with little environmental benefit.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
We simply need better storage capacity and charging availability. I use my dinghy extensively in a harbor on Catalina that has no plug in availability locally. I could charge from the boat, but then I am pirating it's storage.
I'd love to have an electric vehicle too. Teslas are ubiquitous in CA. However, it's 100 miles each way to the boat with no local charging posts. A 250 mile range for $100K just isn't going to cut it.
Electric works for a lot of people very well right now. It's just a bit too limited for me now, but it will come.
Tesla is really humorous. I was at a car show about 4 years ago and there was a Tesla for sale. Incredibly beautiful roadster. So I asked the guy what he was asking and he said $26k, which did not seem out of line, considering the beauty of the car. As I was walking away I asked him what is the range? How many miles between charges? He answered 154. I said "miles"? And he said yes. I laughed out loud. I understand now they have greater range but "..come on, man..."

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Looking at the Travel 1103 C, the range seems fairly good already. Admittedly, it is only the equivalent of a 3-4hp gas engine, but with a range of between 18 and 40 miles (at half throttle or slow, respectively) that isn't too bad. Plus, unlike a gas engine, it actually tells you what you have in remaining range. The price, on the otherhand, is still fairly high, maybe double a new gas engine, but then you aren't buying gas, oil, filters, tuneups, etc.

We have 425 watts of solar on the boat, which is plenty for running our 12V fridge which is always on, and charging the house batteries. I suspect it would also charge the Torqeedo batteries fairly efficiently as well. Of course, having a second battery is probably a good idea, to have one charging while the other is in use. So, that's probably another $500.

We are pretty attuned to electric anyway. Our new house is 100% self-powered with 7.4kW of solar array, and two Tesla PowerWalls for battery, no generator, and no connection to the grid. That also keeps the air conditioning running when needed, the pool pump running, and the Nissan Leaf charged up. We live on an island that is only 28 miles long from one extreme end to the other, so the limited 90-95 mile) range really isn't a limitation for us. We have only bought gas for the Jeep once since December. We like taking advantage of the free energy the sun provides, and it just seems to naturally fit with the idea of sailing versus power boating. We've been looking at the Torqeedo ourselves for the next dink, and think it would work out very well for us.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Electric hand tools came on slowly. Once the tech evolved and the prices came down, they took over the market. If you worry about the range of a driver drill, you buy a bigger battery (and a larger Li-ion battery is pricey for a drill).

Range is becoming less of an issue for many sailors and so the user group grows for electric propulsion.

Cost I suspect is the bigger negative. That is coming down as other electric options evolve.

Theft is a concern as the batteries are pricey. But unlike a larger, heavier, hot smelly outboard that has a good chance of leaking fuel and lubricants, it's easy to pack a Torqueedo in pieces in all the junk that comes off and on a boat for the average sailer that is out for a few days at a time.

Not for everybody but the field of users grows.

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Not for everybody but the field of users grows.
Being in the biz, our Torqeedo sales doubled last year....expect that trend will continue. Propane OB have not garnered many followers.
I'm waiting to see what other manufacturer steps into this category.
Elco has an interesting product line- https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/ both outboard and inboard.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Before that, Torqeedo should design a way to LOCK the battery to the motor. In particular for high-theft areas. That thing is 700 dollar bill sitting on the transom of your dink while you enjoy a cocktail at shore-side bar. Its 'secured' to the motor via a plastic pin, designed to hold it in place, but not secure it from theft.
I think someone could design a way to substitute a stainless pin for that plastic pin, drill a hole in the end for a locking cable or something equivalent to a trailer hitch pin lock.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Reminds of an old ad for one of those Kryptonite bicycle locks. It said that if you locked a bike to a lamppost they guaranteed it would not be stolen anywhere except NYC where they will steal the lamppost too.