HEAD SYSTEM Y VALVE AND THRU HULL

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I understand that the Y valve should be lock out for the raw sewage and it makes perfect sense. However what does the coastguard and any maritime authorites want with the ball valve on the thru hull. Should this be locked out as well. What is the preffered method of the lock out? Is a bright orange or red Zip Tie sufficient?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Both the y-valve and the seacock should be closed and cable/zip tie used to "secure" the system against "accidental" discharge. However, the USCG is pretty lenient about the "letter of the law" as long as intent to comply with the law is obvious. That doesn't rule out the possibility you could run into a local water cop with an advanced case of Barney Fife syndrone, though.
Fwiw, you'll find a list of the acceptable means of "securing" a sanitation in 33 CFR 159.7 Things like cable ties and keyed macerators aren't included because they didn't exist when it was written, but are acceptable today.
--Peggie

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In Massachusetts, in particular, and some other States I've heard that they will drop a dye pack in the head(s) and pump them. If you get a plum of "red water" (or whatever), you're going to get i) a warning or ii) a ticket. If they catch you a second time, you're going to get into big-time trouble.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I took the handle off the head thru-hull. It's in the nav station so no one inadvertantly uses it.

Aug 11, 2011
In Massachusetts, in particular, and some other States I've heard that they will drop a dye pack in the head(s) and pump them. If you get a plum of "red water" (or whatever), you're going to get i) a warning or ii) a ticket. If they catch you a second time, you're going to get into big-time trouble.
Interesting. If the die pack stains your head, do you have the right to make a red mess of the inspector? Ha HA!

Aug 11, 2011
Both the y-valve and the seacock should be closed and cable/zip tie used to "secure" the system against "accidental" discharge. However, the USCG is pretty lenient about the "letter of the law" as long as intent to comply with the law is obvious. That doesn't rule out the possibility you could run into a local water cop with an advanced case of Barney Fife syndrone, though.
Fwiw, you'll find a list of the acceptable means of "securing" a sanitation in 33 CFR 159.7 Things like cable ties and keyed macerators aren't included because they didn't exist when it was written, but are acceptable today.
--Peggie
Sorry, who is Barney Fife? Just kidding!

Aug 11, 2011
So I went to the marine store to buy a rebuild kit for Groco HF1. Wow. So I ended up replacing it with a Johnson Head. The difference was $40. And the head smells better already.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
So I went to the marine store to buy a rebuild kit for Groco HF1. Wow. So I ended up replacing it with a Johnson Head. The difference was $40. And the head smells better already.
I think you can get the raritan pump assembly for a little more than the rebuild kit and it will mount to the HF base