Suggestions for navigation software for Ipad

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
Looking for suggestions on software for an Ipad to be used in Northeast currently and possibly on the intracoastal to Florida in the future.
Also for any waterproof cases you use with an Ipad
Thanks for any info

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Navionics Boating App is really all you need for navigation
PredictWind for sailing conditions
Wunderground and Darksky for weather radar

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have Raymarine chartplotter and yes it controls the auto but I use my IPad with Navionics app
it has dock to dock and you put in your draft and touch where you leaving and where you going and it sets a route to follow all Safe always mostly in deep channels.
I love it for sure.
Nick

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
What case do you use? Do you have it mounted in the cockpit?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The sonar charts from navionics worked great for us from Boston to the Bahamas. In the Bahamas they were bad, but so are most.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I got a iPad from work and was all set to purchase software for it and then realized I had to have the cell version to have GPS. Back to my old tablet

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The consensus choice for serious nav apps is iSailor. If you do a search for that term you will find a dozen threads and topics. I (and Main Sail) have written tons on it, its all still correct so I'll point you to that instead of re-typing.

Jun 14, 2010
I got a iPad from work and was all set to purchase software for it and then realized I had to have the cell version to have GPS. Back to my old tablet
You can get any Bluetooth GPS for it, or one that connects directly to your iPad. Check out the Bad-Elf GPS for about $100 or less.

Nov 8, 2010
You can get any Bluetooth GPS for it, or one that connects directly to your iPad. Check out the Bad-Elf GPS for about $100 or less.
Yeah best and easiest if you wire it directly into the boats 12 V system. Wi-Fi-only iPads don’t have GPS because the GPS hardware that they use is built into the cellular radio chipset.

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
I love iNavX.
Inexpensive, Complete charts, iPhone accessible too, accurate gps at least for coastal cruising
But the iPad must have a phone connection to get data.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Yeah best and easiest if you wire it directly into the boats 12 V system. Wi-Fi-only iPads don’t have GPS because the GPS hardware that they use is built into the cellular radio chipset.
What do you mean by hardwiring?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Looking for suggestions on software for an Ipad to be used in Northeast currently and possibly on the intracoastal to Florida in the future.
Also for any waterproof cases you use with an Ipad
Thanks for any info
We have a Garmin Blue charts app on an ipad and have used it for a few years. It's good and clear nav software.

I'd probably install Navionics today as I find it a bit more useful (have it on iphones).

Have not put a cover on the ipad and don't find it difficult to protect from the elements with our use. The ipad is just one of several chart plotters onboard.

Nov 8, 2010
What do you mean by hardwiring?
The vast majority of these devices are battery powered, but can also be wired into your boat’s 12 V system with a little ingenuity. That saves you from having to remember to charge the battery all the time.

Jun 14, 2010
We have a Garmin Blue charts app on an ipad and have used it for a few years. It's good and clear nav software.

I'd probably install Navionics today as I find it a bit more useful (have it on iphones).

Have not put a cover on the ipad and don't find it difficult to protect from the elements with our use. The ipad is just one of several chart plotters onboard.
Tom, I think you should have mentioned the Garmin Blue Chart app isn't supported or available anymore, so other people don't bother looking for it. IMHO, even in its day it wasn't a complete navigation solution. Now that Navionics has adopted Active Captain (and Garmin who now owns Active Captain has changed the sync methods) you can't even update the AC in Blue Chart. Time to move on, IMHO.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I'll echo the plugs for Navionics and iSailor.

I've used the Otterbox Defender for years on a series of iPad minis and then full-size Ipad. I put the iPad in a Defender case the minute it comes out of the box from the store, and highly recommend it. HOWEVER, Otterbox doesn't advertise this cover as "waterproof", even though it shrugs off light stuff just fine, so caveat emptor. If you plan on having it out in the rain you may want to research one that is GUARANTEED waterproof. Lifeproof is one manufacturer that advertises waterproof cases. The Griffin Survivor All Terrain advertises it is "Sealed against dirt, sand, rain and mud", so that's one possibility.

Good luck.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I use Navionics on my iPad and iPhone. Works well for bay sailing.
When I used the iPad in the cockpit I liked the Otterbox case. The biggest problem I had with the iPad was that it would overheat and shutdown if I left it sitting in direct sun.
For that reason I switched to a dedicated chart plotter, not because I couldn't sail the bay without it for a few minutes but I didn't want to put the iPad through the abuse of overheating occasionally.
If I was traveling down to Florida I'd have both, iPad and dedicated CP. The reason being I've found the Navionics maps update more recently than the CP charts and they are more accurate.

I still use Navionics on my iPhone at times. Mainly I keep my iPhone in a safe place in the cockpit so I can monitor the weather if the sky begins looking iffy.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have my IPad right next to my C-80 chartplotter at the helm on my navpod,I did install
a usb plug in the nav pod and when using Navionics on my IPad and it does use a lot of battery power and would run real low if not plugged in .
I love the Navionics app for sure and use the dock to dock a lot.
Nick

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lots of great suggestions. I have used and like: iSailor, iNavX, Windy.com, and Coastal Explorer (this on on my laptop).

It is a matter of taste. Some use free NOAA charts others require you to pay for a subscription in order to keep your charts current.

The personal element is how you interface with the chart and the gear, be to iPad, iPhone, Chart Plotter etc.

While in Belize we had a Raymarine Axiom 7 CP and on the cell phone Navionics with the current charts. The charter company provided individual charts of the local islands and we bought a local guide book with local and a large chart with suggested passages between the coral reefs.

We used all of them. The most important tool by far. The eyes of the crew sitting on the bow. We’d be cruising along in water with the depth showing 70feet (deep water by Belize standards) and one of the crew would shout shallow water, as the depth gauge would start counting down like 3rd grader 70, 68 50, 36......12...8.

Moral. Even with all the electronics you need to keep your eyes scanning the water as the did 200 plus years ago. One of my favorite tools are my polarizing sun glasses.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Crashing into things as your eyes are glued to a screen seems total myth to me. There's not much to see on a screen except your boats icon placed accurately on the latest chart. Contrast that with piloting your progress on a paper chart, which is how I sailed for decades. The latter, especially if the chart is below, was much more likely to keep my attention.

Today, when ships hit the bricks around here, you can be sure the boats icon showed the boat crashing into those rocks, in real time.

The eyes onboard were not looking at that screen. There aren't as many excuses today yet boats still crash into the same rocks.