Are current electronics repairable?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
More accurately, is there anyone (PNW area preferred) who actually troubleshoots, tests, and repairs the major components of electronics systems? Or, does everyone literally just swap and upgrade endlessly until they lose track of what works properly and what doesn't? Can you tell that I'm frustrated?

My B&G Zeus touch screen MFD is failing. It's the second one to fail in five years (along with two wind transducers in the same time period). It's out of warranty, and there is no repair service available through B&G (I'm lucky if they return my call or email within six months). So, I'm $OL. To me, it has the symptoms of a bad touch screen/interface (think sticking key on a keyboard). It acts like it's being attacked by a toddler who's looking for his (her?) favorite video or game on a tablet or phone... beeping, circling, processing, buffering inputs and selections until I power it off.

Before I bite the bullet and just buy another unit to install, I thought I'd ask if there is anyone out there who actually asks questions and troubleshoots things before plugging a new one into the same rats nest of network signals and connections, hoping that the new one works better and longer than the one it replaced...

Calmly and quietly awaiting recommendations and referrals...

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Its fairly easy to swap major components on most electronics (screen, keypad, etc). The difficulty is getting the parts. Followed by a close second of getting the device open without breaking it. The manufacturer probably doesn't make the components, and may not have parts to sell. Its the world we live in.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Since the device is out of warranty anyway, what have you got to lose by opening the case?
Sometimes the problem with the touch screen is simply resolved by reseating the ribbon plugs on the circuit board.
I had a long obsolete Raymarine MFD, that got balky, so I did just that. I actually got a couple of more years out of it before I replaced it.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have a Raymarine C-80 since the H-36 was delivered as I ordered it and after about 10 years
it went bad so I bought a used one that was suppose to be lightly used and a year later it went
bad but found a company on east coast Florida to mail to for $249.00 but it did not last and sent it
back and another $249.00 and again went bad with in 3 hours but they sent me another different unit at no charge and so far it has worked for a few days and I did not want to up date because my radar won’t work with newer chartplotter.
I also have Navionics on my IPad and love it and use at same time with C-80 at my helm sized by side.
Nick

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Send a PM to @Stu Jackson . Couple of years ago he had a failure with his AutoPilot. Found a guy in Denver who did a repair.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
My experience with a touchscreen (Raymarine e Series) is that the touchscreen is not very useful. It is difficult to keep you finger steady while rolling over waves. I gave up and just use the knobs. I suppose I could send it in for calibration but that would involve taking it out of commission for who knows how long. Knobs work good enough.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Thank you, for your input! I'm no longer AS frustrated, and I will follow up with Myles Electronics, to see what he has to say. Then I'll decide which "don't need to worry about voiding the warranty" step to take next.

My experience with a touchscreen (Raymarine e Series) is that the touchscreen is not very useful. It is difficult to keep you finger steady while rolling over waves. I gave up and just use the knobs. I suppose I could send it in for calibration but that would involve taking it out of commission for who knows how long. Knobs work good enough.
Head Sail, IIRC... calibration on the B&G is something that you can do yourself. It's buried somewhere in the setup menus, and I've done it a couple of times. The other problem is that when the touch screen is acting up, the knobs and other interface buttons on the unit don't work. They're just queued up with the rest of the phantom commands that the system is buffering. The only thing that works is to turn off the power.